Thursday, November 1, 2007

Trick-or-Treat, Smell My Feet!!




Ahhhhh, Halloween. A mother is never more proud than when she sends her child from stranger to stranger prompting them to beg for candy. Trick-or-treat night is such a hectic night. I tried to make myself a little schedule for the day yesterday so that I would know exactly when to do what (like figuring out what time I needed to start making dinner so that I could finish by a certain time so they would have a certain amount of time to eat so I could be starting to get their costumes on by a certain time so I would have them ready for pictures before....etc....etc.... etc....) I realized at about 9:30 in the morning I was already running behind schedule.

We weren't really sure what time the actual trick-or-treating was supposed to start. I looked online and found nothing. I watched news and heard nothing. I asked neighbors who knew nothing. Everyone seemed to be really confused because of the whole time change/no time change thing. Someone told me they were waiting until it was dark out and then taking their children. Yeah, um, that won't work for me. It doesn't get dark until like 8!! If someone would have told me that I wouldn't have had to buy any costumes because my children turn into little monsters on their own if they are up past 8.

So we decided at 6:30 we would go out. We looked up the street. No one else was out. We started knocking on doors and no one was answering. Ugh! So we found a game of hopscotch that someone had drawn on the sidewalk and hung out and played for awhile. Finally at 7 we started seeing other people out and about and started our quest for massive amounts of sugar...yet again.






We had an unusually large number of people that wanted to take pictures of our children. We moved here from Ohio not too long ago and I don't ever remember people taking pictures of my children in the past. Is this something that is normal?? I didn't want to be like "Well, I don't mind if my children take candy from you, creepy old man, but please don't take their pictures."





It was pretty hot (and when I say hot I mean there was a good amount of sweating involved) and the mosquitoes were EVERYWHERE!!!!! I had no idea how big those suckers (no pun intended) could be until I lived in a hot, humid climate during rainy season. But all in all we had a pretty good time. We ended up with a plethora of candy. Actually it was 11 pounds of candy to be exact....we weighed it. hehe

13 comments:

Kellan said...

They were just adorable - of course people wanted to take pictures of them!! I'm glad its all over, myself - on we go now to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Cute pictures. See ya.

Rick said...

Cute kids and cute costumes. I love your "proud mother" remarks.

Thanks for visiting my blog. "Dashing Through the Snow" huh? That's pretty funny.

I'm not sure, but I think I've gottent to where I enjoy Thanksgiving more & we completely blow by that one.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

Liz said...

You crack me up! What a cute bunch of goblins!! Hope you don't eat all 11 pounds of that candy today...like my kids want to...but won't get to. I know, I'm the world's meanest mommie. LOL

Have a great one!
~Liz
http://4guysn1liz.blogspot.com

Suburban Correspondent said...

Darn, I wish we had thought to weigh ours!

Yes, that Daylight Savings Time issue messed us up a bit, too. And, no, I've never had strangers asking to take pictures - we mostly just take pictures of our own kids and their friends around here.

Michelle said...

Oh, so if I move to Florida I won't have to deal with children who are whining and crying on Halloween because they don't like the way the 4 layers I have insisted that they wear under their princess, angel bride, costume feel??

Family Adventure said...

When they're so dang cute, people are going to want to take pictures.

Those costumes are AMAZING. But I shudder to think of all the work that went into getting them ready. I can see why you'd be behind schedule at 9:30 am.

Glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

Heidi :)

Leah said...

I'm dying here... I'd planned to have my three as pirates this year. I had FANTASTIC plans of them all being pirates. THEY, on the other hand, had very very different plans than me... SO, we had Little Bo Peep, a Steelers football player, and a very adorable and HAIRY lion. LOL

I'm jealous of the weather. It was in the mid-30's for us while we were out, I believe. Something COLD anyway.

Thanks for viewing my blog earlier today! I love having new viewers and getting comments. Your blog is really cute and fun; I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me! LOL

onthegomom said...

Loved the costumes! Adorable!!

Um, I can't think of a time when anyone (other than family) asked to take my kids' pictures when we were out trick or treating.

http://momoftheyear-not.blogspot.com/

desirae said...

Thanks for the tip about the clear nail polish, it never even entered my head that we could use that and hubby wouldn't even notice.. Your kids and their costumes are so cute.. Maybe people wanted pictures, so they could show them to people, saying it was the best family they saw, all the costumes went together, it wasn't just a big mess of batman, and a princess and a lion.. There was a togetherness, a theme, and it was well thought out.. (great job on that by the way)

One Scrappy Gal said...

I just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog today. I really appreciate your kind words. I did not know about comment modification... I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to things blogger/technological related... so I will definitely enable that now after posting this. Your children are precious and I plan to stop back here and read more in the future. Have a wonderful weekend!! :)

shannon said...

OMGosh, i love the costumes...your kids look adorable. and yes, that's creepy that people wanted to take photos of your children!

Valarie said...

I knew it was weird that people were taking pictues! My sister (my niece came with us and people took her picture too) thought it was creepy also!

Duck Hunter said...

Hmm. Yeah, no strangers taking pictures around here. Maybe our costumes aren't as good as yours. Your kids look great!