Sunday, November 25, 2007

Brain Teasers

I got this from my sister Jill in an email and found it amusing. The following is 4 questions and then a bonus question. The email stated that you had to read the question and answer the first thing that popped into your head. You aren't allowed to spend time to try and double check your answer.

I will say that I tend to think of myself as a reasonably intelligent person, it's a good thing the score from this little quiz here didn't determine whether or not I got into college. :)

Question 1:
You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position are you in?

















Answer: If you answered that you are in first place, then you are absolutely WRONG!! If you overtake the second person and you take his place, then you are second place! (did ya get it right?? I didn't.....)

Question 2:
If you overtake the last person in the race, then you are...?

















Answer: Not in the race to begin with!! If you answered last than you are wrong AGAIN. Tell me, how can you overtake the LAST person in a race? (I missed this one, too. hehe)


Question 3:
This one is Very tricky arithmetic!
Note: This must be done in your head only. Do NOT use paper and pencil or a calculator. Just try it.

Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10 . What is the total?























Answer: Did you get 5000?? I did when I tried it!! And guess what?? I was freaking wrong AGAIN!! The answer is actually 4100. You can check it with a calculator if you need to.

Question 4:
Mary's father has five daughters: 1. Nana 2. Nene 3. Nini 4. Nono. What is the name of the fifth daughter?















Answer: Did you guess NuNu? Well, it's MARY!! (I actually got this one right!! Yeah!! 25% is better than nothing, I guess!)

BONUS:
A mute person goes into a shop and wants to buy a toothbrush. By imitating the action of brushing his teeth he successfully expresses himself to the shopkeeper and the purchase is made. Next, a blind man comes into the shop and wants to buy a pair of sunglasses; how does HE indicate what he wants?















Answer: He just has to open his mouth and ask... (I got this one too. In my opinion the bonus was the easiest out of them all!!)

So.....how did you do???

10 comments:

onthegomom said...

I missed the first 2, but got the rest right. That was fun, thanks for sharing it!

desirae said...

I got the first one right, and the one about the daughter named Mary. The rest made me overthink and I bombed. While doing the last one, I actually did hand motions to act like I was taking off glasses, and shielding my eyes from the sun. (It never even entered my mind that geez, he would just ask.)

Kellan said...

I can't do these, I can't do these, I can't do these.... *sigh*

Family Adventure said...

I got them all except the very last one. I wasn't really paying attention, but I answered...he wouldn't need any sunglasses because he was blind. Oh well.

Good fun.

Heidi

Suburban Correspondent said...

Not too well....

Unknown said...

No comment!! =)

ummmhello said...

Great, now I'm officially SLOW!

Cecily R said...

I got the second one right, and,
this is scary but I got the MATH one right. Since you and I don't know each other well enough yet, you should know I am terrible TERRIBLE at math. :)

Lucille said...

It took me a few to get going but I did get the same ones right as you! (I hate those things)

BUT it was fun to jump start that part of my brain. Luckily it can now go back to sleep! LOL!

Thanks for sharing that!

http://whosgoingtotellyou.blogspot.com/

Jillybean said...

I got every one of them wrong. Pretty pathetic:(