Monday, November 19, 2007

Happy Birthday Dear Santa

I was sitting on my couch watching The Amazing Race (I DVRed it because I couldn't watch it last night) this morning. All of a sudden this awful smell hits my nose. What in the world is that?? It smells like something died! I stand up and slowly start wandering around the room sniffing here and sniffing there, trying to find a scent trail to track down whatever was causing the horrific odor.

As I headed for the side of my couch the smell got a little stronger and a little stronger. I peeked around and saw a green, child-sized glass sitting back in the corner off to the side of the couch. h, oh. This can't be good! I pulled it out and WHEH!! It was S-T-I-N-K-Y!! It was a glass of old, solidified milk. I have absolutely no idea how long it had been there. Long enough that the liquid had turned to a solid and the smell was strong enough that it was stinking up the entire room. I knew exactly whose it was too. (My children are assigned a color for their glasses. Green=Evan!!) So, I took a deep breath and ran it into the kitchen and washed it down the sink.

I decide if I didn't want to gag and lose my breakfast all over the place I should probably light a candle to help cover the putrid smell of death. So, I did.

I left the room and was in doing some laundry and heard faint singing coming from my living room. Was that my children? What were they singing? I stuck my head around the corner so I could hear a little better. It was all three of my older children. They were singing Happy Birthday. I thought it a little odd because it isn't anyone's birthday. Oh well. They can be pretty weird sometimes, so I just went on with my business.

When I went back into the living room I noticed that the candle was out. Hmmm, odd. Well, because I have 4 small children and am running on very little sleep and my brain has turned to mush I didn't put two and two together. I thought it was strange that the candle was out, but I just lit it again and went back to cleaning.

Evan came up to me and asked me if we were having cake. I told him no. He whined for about 3 seconds and than ran back into the room he had come out of.

A few minutes later I hear my children singing again.
Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday to you.
Happy Birthday dear Santa.
Happy birthday to you.


Santa?? I laughed to myself. Gee, they aren't ready for Christmas yet, are they?? So I walked back into the room to tease them about singing to Santa just in time to see Kyle blowing out the candle I had re-lit! Suddenly it all made sense!

I guess from a child's perspective a lit candle = singing and birthday cake!!

My only question is, why Santa?!?

12 comments:

One Scrappy Gal said...

Yeah... why Santa?

Your description of the cup thoroughly nauseated me. BLECH!! Still a funny post though! :)

Anything fun planned for Thanksgiving?

Leah said...

I'm glad my kids aren't the only ones ready for Christmas! They turned on some Christmas movies for themselves yesterday morning!! LOL

Happy Birthday Santa! I wouldn't mind some cake myself...

Valarie said...

one scrappy gal-sorry for the vomit-inducing details. :) Nothing big planned. I am staying home and making dinner for my family and my two sisters (who are sharing in the food making duties).

Leanne said...

Hmmm. I guess the better question is; why not Santa? Anyone know when his birthday is anyway?

Kellan said...

Cute stories - the old cup and the song to Santa - so cute. I love when I hear my kids singing from another room - don't you love it? Take care. Kellan

girlymom said...

Happy Birthday Santa- how old is he anyways?!! My 2 year old sits in her seat at the table and sing Happy Birthday to herself daily!!
I had one of those milk cups in the toy room, sippy cup, so what was inside was a mystery and a shock upon opening- I threw it away- there was no way I was going to get those chunks out of the sippy valve- EW!!! The things we Moms endure...gotta love 'em!
Thanks for stopping by my site, our lives are very similar, best of luck to you and your little ones!

girlymom said...

Have a wonderful Turkey Day!

Be Inspired Always said...

Have a wonderful turkey day :)


That's adorable singing Happy Birthday to Santa. I think they sort of guessed on when Santa's Birthday is, which shows great imagation, plus excitement about Christmas.


When my kids were little I would make a small cupcake for santa and place a candle in it.

My kids would sit down with me in a big comfy chair and sing happy birthday to santa. I always told them santa hears kids singing across the world. If you sing from your heart our house might be at the beginning of his list!



Jillian

Liz said...

Awww...that is too CUTE!! I guess they think Christmas is Santa's birthday! :o) My 3 year old started singing Twinkle Twinkle little star yesterday...it's adorable!!

As for the milk...next time flush it down the toilet...less work, less mess, less left-over odor...and anyways, processed milk winds up there anyways, doesn't it? Hee hee ;o)

Have a great Thanksgiving!!

Suburban Correspondent said...

I assign my kids colors also - cups, towels, toothbrushes - no joke!

Thanks for stopping by my place.

Duck Hunter said...

That is a great story!

onthegomom said...

That is such a cute story! It made me giggle. Have a great Thanksgiving!