Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Admitting the Problem is the First Step

Alright, I have a confession to make. This is something that has been building up inside me for a long time. I know I have a problem and before my husband decides there needs to be some sort of intervention I want to own up to my problem. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right? Ok, so here it goes.........
I am addicted to reality tv. That's right. I am a reality tv junkie!!! I first realized I had a problem when I saw a commercial for The Amazing Race starting this Sunday (Nov. 4th) and I actually let out a "Yippy" and jumped up and clicked my heels. I think the last time I had a reaction like that was when I found out I was pregnant the last time. Wow! See! I just compared finding out you are pregnant to seeing the season premier of a tv show!! This may be worse than I thought....

I am finding lately that I don't like having to go for more than 24 hours without watching some sort of reality show. It doesn't have to be the same show. In fact, a lot of the time I experiment with different kinds of shows. Sometimes I get my fix by watching scantily clad women acting like idiots while competing for one man's affection. Sometimes I crave watching groups of people stranded on an island, starving themselves and trying to convince other they have morals so they will award them with a ridiculously large amount of money. I find myself daydreaming of having a certain funny lady with a British accent show up at my house to help me make cute little charts that will magically make my wild children become perfect angels in a matter of 76 hours!

To emphasize the magnitude of this addiction I feel I must disclose the names of all shows I have tried at least once.....These include but are not limited to shows such as:
The Real World, Road Rules, The Real World/Road Rules Challenge, Survivor, The Bachelor, The Amazing Race, American Idol, Big Brother, The Biggest Loser, Rob and Big, The Last Comic Standing, Project Runway, Super Nanny, Trading Spaces, Top Chef, Laguna Beach (more recently Newport Harbor), Americas Next Top Model, I Want to Be a High School Cheerleader Again, To Catch a Thief, Hogan Knows Best, Meerkat Manor, and Fear Factor (may you RIP).

I know, sad right?? Obviously I don't watch them ALL at once. I do have a family at home I am taking care of. I just need a little here and a little there. I watched them socially...you know, only with other people. Yeah, you see...at first it was a social thing. I watched them to fit in. That way I would be able to join in the conversation at the play group or park or in the hallways after church. It seemed like EVERYONE was doing it. Now, I think I have let it take over me and I I think I am going to have to wean myself off of these shows. Maybe I will start watching PBS again. At least those shows don't turn my brain into mush (That's what the pediatrician told my 5 year old would happen if he watched too much tv).

So, I have taken the first step and admitted to my problem. Now I guess the next is to start living my life instead of watching everyone else live theirs on my tv.


P.S. Does anyone know when American Idol starts again? ;) he he

6 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Hey, you know what, I often feel that way about blogging. Like I am spending too many hours of my life online, reading about other people's lives.

Maybe we could start a support group? No wait, that would have to be online, too...

see, my addiction is just as bad.

Heidi :)

Unknown said...

I think the Amazing Race is the best show on TV. I am constantly trying to talk my husband into applying to be on the show. When we watch it (we never miss an episode thank goodnes for tiVo) we decide who would do which task just like we were there!! Does that mean we have a problem too?

Kellan said...

How funny! I like them too. I don't know when AI comes back, but I can't wait either! Have a good Halloween - see ya.

Kellan said...

Hey - it's me again. Thanks for the comment on my post - the twins were Justin T. and Brittney Spears last year and this year they are going to be the Olsen twins - one year one was the devil and one was an angel. Thanks for asking - have a good Halloween. See ya.

shannon said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!! there were way TOO many of those shows i love also, so really, don't feel like you are the only one!

Duck Hunter said...

Survivor and Amazing race are our favorites this time of year. Then AI. Used to watch the Apprentice and I like Hell's kitchen. Do I need help too? The only non-realty show we watch really is CSI and Dirty Jobs. Oh, and the Simpsons, don't forget the Simpsons.