Sunday, November 18, 2007

Never Smile at a Crocodile.....Or an Alligator!

I wrote this story awhile back in my blog, but decided to re post it. Why? Well, read this first:

When you move to Florida you find yourself surrounded by some interesting wildlife. Well, some interesting, some just plain scary. So everyone knows that there are alligators in Florida. Really big, really ugly, could really eat your child in one bite, alligators.

It was a little amusing to me when we first moved here that I found myself checking under the car each time I got in it to make sure there wasn't one of these creepy looking reptiles under the car waiting to eat me for a snack.

So the other day I was at my mom's house and went out to the car with Jill and Devyn to tell them goodbye. I went to the opposite side of the car from Jill and leaned in over the car seat (which was in the middle seat in the car) to make faces at Devyn while Jill strapped her in. I had been that way for maybe 30 seconds when, much to my horror, I felt something a little wet on my big toe. I started to react and pull myself out of the car (which took me longer than normal since I have a human being taking up residence in my uterus right now) and before I had my head out of the car I felt something bite down on my big toe!!

Needless to say I screamed in terror and jumped back as fast as I could. I looked down, expecting to see an 8 foot alligator charging out from under the car towards my legs. Instead, I saw a tiny, 3 inch, black tail swinging back and forth. I heard the call of a male's voice and looked up to see my mom's neighbor coming towards me calling for his new puppy. That's right. This terror-inducing creature that 5 seconds early had caused me to let out a blood-curdling scream was the neighbors 3 month old puppy (about the size of a rabbit).

Jill and I got a good laugh out of it. Hey, never in my life have I claimed to be a brave person. :)


Ok, so that was the post.
I had a bunch of people comment/email me about how funny/cute this story was. Mostly those were people who DON'T live in Florida or anywhere else where alligators roam freely. Well, the other day I went to the bus stop to get my daughter and there was a visitor waiting there.

Not so funny when you realize it COULD have been an 8 foot alligator, huh?!?!

Needless to say, I have been looking under my van again every time I have to go anywhere.

7 comments:

onthegomom said...

I have to tell you, my heart stopped when I read that. I live far, far away from Florida, but I totally believe your alligator fear. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! I don't blame you for looking under your car, in the backseat, around the corner and all over for that matter.

Kellan said...

No, no, no, no, no, no ... alligators in the backyard!!!!! I'd be a nervous wreck looking for them all the time. I already deal with my share of snakes (just grass and such - but lots), I'd be looking under my car too. Cute story - see you and keep yours eyes wide open!! Kellan

Family Adventure said...

I'd be looking too. And probably freaking out. They look *scary*.

Heidi

Unknown said...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

I would totally freak out!! (At both the small puppy and the alligator.) Thankfully we have nothing like that here in Utah.

Christina

the dragonfly said...

When I was little my grandparents had a cottage in Florida (before they retired and moved there). I was five the first time we drove down to visit.

I was TERRIFIED that an alligator was going to eat me. I remember having to be carried (at a dead run) from the car to the house when we got there.

Needless to say, I was not eaten by an alligator.

But wow that you saw one at the bus stop!!

Damama T said...

HI! Your blog stays up on my blog's "other blogs" list, so I finally thought I'd come check you out!

That looks like one big critter! And I was afraid of the scorpions when we lived in west Texas! I'm thinking maybe some steel-toed boots with are in order. At least then they'd have to work at biting your toes off! AACK!

http://damama2all.blogspot.com/

girlymom said...

Ok, I totally sympathize with you! Yikes! I lived in Hawaii for 3 years and jumped at the geckos, I can't imagine anything bigger with giant teeth. I sympathize with you really, but I did have to laugh at ya too...a puppy!! How cute, funny/scary story, thanks!