Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Duck and Cover"

My boys belong in a wrestling ring. They are constantly fighting. They fight over toys. They fight over food. They fight over who said what and who was looking at whom. They fight over everything. Today, I had to break up a fight that was ignited by a commercial for a small, toy castle . Kyle says it was grey. Evan says it was blue. They actually came to blows because of this. This is what my day is like.....

While making breakfast... "Boys, stop arguing!"
Loading them in the car... "Boys, stop yelling and get in your seats!"
Driving in the car to Kyle's school..."BOYS!!! Keep your hands to yourselves!!"
Driving back home after I pick Kyle up..."You guys! Knock it off!"
Me making lunch for them...."Kyle, stop smacking your brother in the forehead!"
Me while they are eating lunch..."Evan!!! Stop throwing food at Kyle!"

I spend the rest of the day running from room to room pulling the two of them off of each other and shouting things like...

"We don't bite!"
"Get your finger out of his eye!!"
"Get off him!"
"Put down the toy and step away slowly!"
"STOP IT!!!!"

I have told some of you before that I do not believe these are ordinary toddler on toddler fist fights. They are vicious! They draw blood. I actually have to get in between them and physically separate them and let them have time to cool off before they can be back together (which will then last about, oh, 40 minutes before the next fist fight....and that is a generous estimate). It's not like I let them get away with it. They are punished when they fight. But, for whatever reason, they can't seem to figure out that fighting is BAD and not something that mommy will tolerate! I can't imagine what I am going to do when they are 14 and 16 and are having these fights. I guess I need to start practicing my "duck and cover" maneuver.
So anyways, the other day they got into it and Evan ended up with a bloody nose. His father's way of helping out......shove some toilet paper up there! So, here he is in all his "toilet paper shoved up the nose" glory.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness, I do not mean to laugh, but you wrote that so beautifully.

*sigh* I really hope that they learn that they can't do that to each other. They are SUPPOSE to love each other (that is what I tell my kids who mostly bicker with one another until I want to get earplugs to not hear it anymore).

My three year old though has taken a liking to winding back and punching me, his sister, the dog, anything he can get his little fist on. I have started saying that hitting is not allowed, but if you feel that angry, then here punch this pillow. It works, he gives me a 'you are ridiculous' smile and walks away.

To further my point, I have bought him a punching bag for Christmas. Maybe he will be the next big thing in the boxing world.

Jennifer said...

You know, I hate to tell you, but I dont think it gets any better. I have to say something more often to my 10 (girl) and 12 (boy) yr olds than I do to my 4, 3, 2, and 1 yr olds. But I did something a while ago that worked for a bit.

They know the no hitting/fighting etc rule in our house, and they choose to ignore it. And I have done 2 things. First thing is I would lay out a play rug, (think 3feet by 3 feet) and give them some boxing gloves, sat down on the couch with some popcorn and my husband and told them to go at it. If they wanted to fight, then they coudl box, but only on the rug etc. etc. They refused to hit eachother. Now that they are older, I dont know if it works or not, as i haven't done it in a while. What I do now is more embarassing for them. I make them hug. It starts out with 5 minutes of hugging, and with each problem that arises that night, the time is doubled. so it goes 5, 10, 20, 40 etc. We made it to 40 one night then after that as soon as they started, one would say shut up, I dont want to have to hug you, and it would stop.

It is all about being creative, LOL.
~Jennifer

onthegomom said...

I had to laugh at this post... especially with you pondering your fate at 14 and 16. Well, my 2 boys are 14 and 17 and I have to say they DO occasionally get physicial with each other, but mostly it's just their mouth... which can be JUST AS ANNOYING and BAD! Their insults age and mature with them. Just something for you to look forward too :)

Leah said...

awww, that child looks far too sweet to ever be involved in fist fights of any kind!

My husband and his younger brother both have scars from fights with each other when they were little. I'm terrified of what will happen when Connor is old enough to be a bigger threat to Jared (Connor will be the one kicking and hitting and punching and scratching)

Good luck! It stinks being a broken record about the rules and no one paying any attention!

Suburban Correspondent said...

Boys are something, aren't they? It's a wonder they survive until adulthood.

Family Adventure said...

You know...I look at that lovely face, and I just have such a hard time believing he could do *anything* wrong. Really.

But...of course, I believe you. I do think they'll grow out of it, but I hope for your sake it is sooner rather than later!

Heidi

dawn klinge said...

Your son looks so adorable even with the toilet paper in his nose. I completely sympathize with you about the fighting though- we get that at our house also, and it's horrible.

Kellan said...

My kids do a lot of yelling at each other - not so much hitting and wrestling, but I only have the one boy. I truly believe a lot of it is that they are boys, but maybe not all of it. I don't know what to tell you - separate them,constantly, when they get rough - have a no-touch rule and then consequences. Good luck - they are cute!

Unknown said...

roflmao love jennifer's rule...hug each other...that is a good one!!

Valarie said...

LOL!!! Jennifer I just read your comment to my husband and starting tomorrow we are imposing a "stop fighting or we're gonna make you hug!" rule! :)
And trust me ladies, he has learned how to perfect that "I'm so adorably innocent" face. But I am immune to the cuteness!! (ok, well at least I try to be)

Maria said...

I once made a rule: If hit the other person, you owe them a dollar. That didn't work, though. They didn't think I was serious! BTW, I just posted about my kids fighting a couple of days ago. Read it and tell me if it sounds like how you feel.

Heather said...

I feel your pain. Rather, I should say my boys feel your boys' pain.

Jennifer said...

so how did the first day of you gotta hug rule go?

~Jennifer