Thursday, January 24, 2008

If Cars Lasted Forever......

Oh. My. Gosh. Why can't cars just last forever?

Why can't you just pick one and have it last for as long as you are alive?

If ya pick the wrong one? Too bad. You're stuck with it. Don't like the color? Well, too bad. Paint it yourself. Have another baby? Well, strap her on the hood. (Ok, not really. Please don't go strap your baby to the hood of your car. She'll have bug goo all over her before you get to Wal-Mart.)

We bought our van. You know, the one that I didn't really want but settled for because my husband wanted it even though I am the one that has to drive it all the time. That van. When we bought it, there was a tiny chip in the windshield (and a few other minor issues) that the dealer gave us a "we owe" for. So, we took the van in last week. An hour away. With all 4 kids in the backseat. That is 2 hours round trip (just in case you suck at math). We took it in on Thursday. They called us on Friday and said it was ready. We drove back an hour to get it and when we got there the windshield had not been replaced. The chip was still there. They had done nothing.

The manager apologized profusely and said it was his fault for not checking it out before he had called us. Well, DUH, of course it is your fault. This was the same manager that I had gotten into a heated discussion with when buying this van.

"Why don't you come on out here and we can show you this new Ford Freestar."
"Umm, no thanks. I don't like Fords."
"It has leather interior."
"Ummmmmmm, NO thanks. I don't like leather.?
"What?!? You don't like leather? Everyone likes leather. What do you have against leather?"
"Well, first off I have 5 car seats in my car and they tend to leave indentations in the leather that ruin it."
"Yeah, that is why you should take the car seats out and let the seat 'breathe' every once in a while."
"Did you hear me say I put 5 car seats in?? Have you ever strapped FIVE car seats into a van before?? There is no way I am messing with taking FIVE car seats out of the car to let my seats 'breathe' and then breakin gmy finger (yes, that has happened) straping them all back in. Thank you very much. Plus, I am not particularly in love with the smell of burning flesh. Which is what the interior of your car smells like if you have leather seats and live in Florida in July and August."
(Not that I have anything against other people having leather interior...It is cool looking....to each his own) But anyways....

So my husband called on Tuesday and talked to the salesman who had sold us the car. He told him that their glass man had looked at it and said there was nothing he could do about it...hat they were a dealership and not a glass shop and he pretty much said we were SOL. So, I said that was fine. If they didn't want to fix the window like they had promised (and put in writing), we would be returning the van to them the following day.

They replaced the window yesterday.

Then, today, I was out and about and realized......my freaking passenger side window won't roll down. Those morons had to have done something to it. It worked fine before and now it doesn't. The van is under warranty, so I think we won't even bother calling this dealer back. We will just take it somewhere else and have it fixed.

But, if cars lasted forever I wouldn't have this problem.

We wouldn't have to deal with idiot car sales guys.

We wouldn't have to argue about the make and model and worry about how many miles it had on it.

We would just buy a car....and have it last forever. Wouldn't that just be easier?!?

15 comments:

newduck said...

Holy sh*t. If that happened to me I would absolutely lose it. How is it that you're not currently facing criminal charges for massive assault on a car salesman? You must have the patience of a saint.

girlymom said...

Nasty nasty nasty, that's what I have to say about it. I hate dealing with car people, I hate dealing with dealerships, the 800 numbers, the whole thing- it just gets nasty. I can't believe you had to drive that far and then find out they had not done anything. Nasty. Oh and I am right there with ya about the leather. Not that I am a PETA person or whoever those people with the signs are, (I like my leather boots, sorry) but leather should not be on your seat in Florida or Michigan...try warming one in below 0 temps- it takes forever!! Good luck with the nastiness.

Family Adventure said...

I hate cars and all the hassle they bring, too. Not to mention all the money they suck out of your pocket. Hate that the most.

I hope this is the last hiccup you'll have with this van for a while...

Happy weekend, Valarie!

Heidi

Anonymous said...

wow. don't you just love dealing with car dealerships?? And 4 hours out of your day?? for nothing?? holy cow. I would have gotten a free dvd player and install or something out of that one...

(no comment on how my husband hates being with me when I've been wronged - they will pay) (and yes, I've gotten free dvd installs and free i-pod adapters out of such trips, hehe)

One Scrappy Gal said...

I cringed at the thought of you taking all those car seats out!!
Also... leather seats in the south during the summer?!! Yikes!

Good call on threatening to take the van back. Sucks that that's what it takes to get people to do their jobs though!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Yikes - car salesmen/service rank up there with lawyers, contractors, and real estate agents (no offense to anyone, we have just had bad experiences with all of the above). They always seem to have an ulterior motive and they can be extremely unscrupulous. I don't get being that way. Good luck with the van - I know how hard it was to succomb.

KEEP BELIEVING

Maria said...

Oh I hate cars! Well except that new Chrysler with the satellite tv and table in it! I just have the expense of a car. My last van I bought, I thought I would keep it forever. Now it's leaking, making noises, and I want a new one, which is out of the question.

onthegomom said...

Oh how I hate dealing with car sales people, well pretty much any sales person really. I do not like to hagle, I do not like to go through credit approval, I just hate all of that. AND then to have to deal with them AFTER the sale to get them to do things they promised ... I am sure I would of lost it!

Leah said...

that would be a million times easier. and then the key fob that automatically unlocks the van (handy when your hands are full of babies and kids) and automatically opens one of the sliding side doors (also handy your hands are full of babies and kids) wouldn't be breaking... sigh...

I wish I'd thought to just strap Connor the hood. that would have saved us a TON of trouble when we were preggo with Connor and owned a car that didn't fit three carseats. LOL!

Kellan said...

Now ... let me tell you about that Studabaker sitting in my driveway. That car is a 1963. We had a flood at my house in 1998 and that car went completely under water for several hours - so did my brand new van and my husbands brand new Ford truck. When the water subsided and the insurance company had a look at our new van and truck - they immediately considered them totalled and towed them away. Now, that Studabaker - while complete water logged and interior ruined - once my husband cleaned the carbarator and put in new gas - started right up - and continues to run to this day! I'm just sayin - they don't make things the way they used to. Not cars, not TVs - nothing. I hear ya!

Have a good weekend Valarie - I'll see you soon. Kellan

Kathy said...

Oh you poor thing! I hate having car issues, they never seem to end. I wish cars lasted forever too! Hang in there.


www.kathy-iamwhoiam.blogspot.com

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

ditto. ditto. ditto. our van had a wonderful, loud whistling sound when the wind was blowing because the windshield seal was rotted. we didn't discover it until we started a 5,000 mile roadtrip. Then, our automatic door was psychotic and tried to squish various members of our family. Thank goodness for warranties. Oh how I wish vehicles were like chocolate...it never fails to be perfectly pleasing.

the dragonfly said...

Oh. Yuck.

I wish my VW Jetta would last forever. Of course, if I end up with more than two kids that could be tricky...

Hope your window gets fixed soon..

baseballmom said...

Man, that is terrible! We took my Tahoe in for an oil change, and they called us to say that the battery had mysteriously died, and I needed a new one. When I asked them how much it was, they said (ready?) $178! I told them that I'd be going to Costco, buying a battery, and having Husband install it when he picked it up. I also called the better business bureau and complained! HATE. DEALERSHIPS.

dawn klinge said...

I hate dealing with car stuff- with a passion! It's never easy is it!? Hope it all works out well for you.