Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The I-4 Pile-Up

I am not sure how many of you have heard about the horrific accident that took place this morning, just before dawn here in Florida. A couple days ago, they started a "controlled" burn just outside of Orlando. I don't understand why they do this. Especially in the dry season here. I am sure there is good reason, but....
So anyways. The people were driving along, at 65 mph, when all of a sudden they were hit instantly by a wall of smog. Smoke from the "controlled" burn (that had become an uncontrolled burn yesterday) had mixed with fog and they said visibility went down to zero instantly. I read that someone said you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Cars began to smash into each other. (There ended up being more than 50 cars involved) Those that had crashed and were sitting in a burning car had to decide if they should get out of the burning car into complete darkness, when they could still hear cars smashing into each other all around them, or if they should risk staying in the burning car a little longer. I can't even imagine. We have been seeing video and pictures of this all day long here. It must have been so horrifying.

I will be praying for all of those who were involved or who have a loved one that was. So far 3 are dead and more than 80 have been taken to the hospital. If you read this and are the praying type, please remember them all in your prayers as well.

15 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Oh wow...it reminds me of a horrific accident on the 401 in Canada a few years ago. Awful story. I will definitely be thinking about everybody on that highway, and hoping for no more fatalities or injuries.

Heidi

Autumn said...

Oh my word. That is scary. That is odd to have a fire, even controlled, in the dry season? SCARY.

dawn klinge said...

I had no idea this happened. How horrible! I said a little prayer.

Unknown said...

omg that is HORRIBLE...I hadn't heard about this either.

Sabrina said...

That's awful! Those poor people. Sometimes the fog here in Kansas is horrible and you just dive right in not knowing what's infront. I can't imagine that mixed with smoke!

Unknown said...

I actually thought of you when I saw this on the news! i am glad you are okay. I can't imagine what that would be like,

Christina

Leah said...

It's so scary and sad to see and hear about those things happening. I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been for those people. The people who experienced the loss of a loved one as a result will most especially be in my thoughts. How sad.

Kathy said...

That is horrible! I hadn't heard about that, but they will all be in my prayers. God bless.

www.kathy-iamwhoiam.blogspot.com

Kellan said...

I can't believe I haven't heard about this all day on the news - I was out during the nightly national news, so that is probably why. It is just horrible and just makes me so mad! I will keep them all in my prayers as well. Take care. Kellan

Anonymous said...

wow, I didn't hear. I'll be praying for everyone involved and their families.

Leanne said...

Yikes. Thoughts and prayers coming your way. I can't even imagine how scared the people in the car must have been.

onthegomom said...

That's horrible. I have already said a prayer for all involved! That is just so scary.

We live in Iowa and my dad lives in Minnesota and drives (drove) over the bridge that collapsed everyday, so I know that feeling of panic when you hear something like that and don't know if your loved ones were okay. Thank the Lord above, he worked from home that day!

Beth Cotell said...

How very sad. I will pray for all involved.

It's my first time visiting here. I love the name of your blog!

One Scrappy Gal said...

How awful!! I did not hear about this... but what a tragedy!! I hope everyone else is OK. :(

girlymom said...

I cannot imagine what all those people have been going through. You don't even need words, the pictures are horrific! Adding prayers to yours...