Thursday, January 3, 2008

Heater Overload!!!

When I woke up this morning I was confused. My nose felt funny. It was......cold!! I grabbed my blankets and pulled them up over my face. I knew it was supposed to get cold out last night. My husband and I had spent a good amount of time yesterday evening moving large, potted plants from out by our pool to inside the garage. When I had checked the weather yesterday morning I did a double take. It was supposed to get down to 22 degrees!! That must be a mistake. We are in FLORIDA!!!! Florida...where there are palm trees and beaches and WARM WEATHER!! I guess they were predicting lower temps than they had had in more than a decade.

So I laid in my bed, covers up over my head, for a few minutes. I was still freezing. I flung the blankets off and scurried towards the thermostat. I was gonna crank that sucker up as far as it could go!!! I glanced at the clock on the microwave on my way past. It was blank. Hmmm.....that's odd. I looked over at the clock on the DVR. Nope, no clock there either. I flipped the light switch in the kitchen. No lights. You have got to be kidding me. The stupid power was out! I went back into my bedroom and grabbed my big sweatshirt and my slippers. I don't think I have worn this sweatshirt in almost 2 years!!

I heard Alaina starting to wake up. I went and scooped her up, blanket and all, out of bed. Evan woke up shortly after and then Mikaily. My husband called the power company. Turns out everyone else in the neighborhood had the same "crank that sucker up" idea and the system had been overloaded. Too many heaters turn on too high....in FLORIDA.....ironic, isn't it? So, we bundled up (there were gloves and hats involved) and hunkered down on the couch under some blankets. You'd think we lived in an igloo.

The power was out for a few hours. At one point Kyle had to go to the bathroom. He came running back in the toy room, very upset, and was like "Awwwww, Mmoooomm!! The power is out in the bathroom too!!"

19 comments:

OHmommy said...

Cute picture. They look cozy.

I had to shovel 12 inches of snow, just to pull out of my garage this morning. It was also 12 degrees. I wasn't cozy.

Infact, I really hate the cold. Don't blaim you guys for feeling cold with the power out either. Brrr.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Once our power was out in the summer and we were suffering without air conditioning. I suggested we just turn on a few fans. My husband looked at me funny.

Valarie said...

suburban - hehe. funny.

the dragonfly said...

The power is out in the bathroom too!

Oh my, laughed out loud at that one.

Hope you're warmer now!!

chris said...

You was the frist person to leave a comment at my blog in a long time I'm just learning so I was excited to see it. I was realy amazed when I checked out your blog my wife has the same van. Your blog looks good if you have a suggesting what I should do I would be greatful.

Kellan said...

That is the cutest picture!! I love it when it is cold in my house when I sleep, but eventually I want the house to warm up. Take care. Kellan

dawn klinge said...

That is really cold not to have any heat! Hope you all warm up soon.

Family Adventure said...

LOL! They are adorable. Look at those smiles, even under such tough circumstances (she says with a smile).

I am sure the warmth will be back soon!

Heidi :)

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Too funny - your kids ought to come to Maine and experience real cold!! I am very sad about this entry = we are moving to FLorida in 4 yrs (as soon as Connor graduates high school) and I expect it to be WARM ALL THE TIME!!

Hallie

Unknown said...

*giggle* "power is out in the bathroom too"

My kids are HILARIOUS when the power is out. 3 1/2 yr old always asks to watch a movie. LOL.

Well, hopefully you have warmed up.

Unknown said...

Brrrr!! That is cold with no heater no matter where you live!!

You can feel sorry for me though because our high the other day wasn't even 22 degrees!! When is it spring?

Christina

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia,

I couldn't resist a visit, on the basis of the name of your blog!!!

Speaking of weather, you and the family should have come to Melbourne, where if we're bored wth the weather we just wait 10 minutes for it to change entirely!!!

Keep smiling. It works well in igloos!

David

onthegomom said...

CUTE picture!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry about the no heat! I know in FL when it gets below 70 people turn the heat on. Here in the midwest, we have the windows open and air and heat off until it gets down past 40! LOL

It has been hovering around ZERO here for the past 3 days!!! But thankfully it will be in the 40's this weekend... thinking of shorts and flip flops.

Hope you warm up soon!

desirae said...

One time when our power was out, and my son was about 3. He told me to put batteries in the the tv to make it work.. And here I'd just seen the what the weather was in Florida a few days ago and told Bob we should move there if he wanted to keep complaining about the cold. (compared to our weather it was ridiculously warm..) I guess I change my mind now..

Kathy said...

I haven't exactly kept up with the weather everywhere. However, I talked to my friend last night while she was in Disney World and she told me how cold it was, I couldn't believe it! She left Kentucky to warm up not freeze! LOL Guess it's officially winter everywhere. Hang in there!

www.kathy-iamwhoiam.blogspot.com

Leah said...

oh no! CUTE CUTE CUTE pic of the kids all bundled up though. We, so far, haven't had any power outages in our area. LAST winter, we experienced FOUR rather major outages (involving several hours of no power and no HEAT; one time lasting almost three full DAYS from a wind storm), so I feel your pain! It's especially bad if you're used to WARM weather like you guys are! YIKES!

I am still chuckling over the power being out in the bathroom too comment. ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, that was funny. Good thing I wasn't taking a drink of anything or it would have been sprayed all over my computer!

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Oh, I feel for you all! When you're used to warm weather it makes the cold seem REALLY cold! I've been reading about the unseasonable weather you are having down there, pretty strange isn't it? Hope things get back to normal again real soon! (Loved the picture of the kids all huddled up together, cute!) So, you don't have a battery powered bathroom? :)

Leah said...

ps I tagged you for a birth month meme, if you're interested in doing it...

Jillybean said...

Our temperature has been around 20 degrees lately. I have an electric blanket, and I know how to use it!
We have a term that we use in our house when it's really cold. We say it's "Butt cold" I think your son discovered how the term originated.