Friday, May 2, 2008

Dirty Old Man

So, people in the South are weird. This is something that you can't fully understand unless you have lived somewhere else and then moved to the South. It's not something that can be explained either. And, old people can be somewhat strange as well. Although, usually they tend to be strange in a cute kinda way. So, when you are down south and you live in a state that is full of Southern elderly men, you can have some weird interactions. Case in point: My last trip to the grocery store.

I had to run in to just grab a couple of items, so I decided I could brave it with all four of my littles and my niece as well. I tend to avoid doing this, just because we get stopped so many times by onlookers, wanting to know if they are ALL mine, that it tends to take twice as long as it should. I was pushing my double stroller with the two babies in it and was herding my older three alongside of me down one of the frozen food aisles. There was a man...an elderly gentleman walking towards us. He was wearing thick glasses. His hair was that weird yellow gray color and he was wearing a red and yellow and white striped shirt with tan shorts pulled up to his boobs. He began pushing his cart across the aisle, directly towards me and saying in his scratchy old man voice"

"Stop stop stop stop STOP! What are these...like sextuplets or something?"

To which I replied very cheerfully, "Well, no. Sextuplets would be six and there are only five here and they are all different ages." (I realized I may have come off as being a tad bit rude...but that was not my intention). I pointed to Laney in the stroller and then my other three and said "These four are mine and this one (pointing to my niece) is my niece." I figured I would save him the trouble of asking that question.

He then said something to me that left me speechless.....

He tilted his head down slightly and looked up at me over the rim of his thick, dirty glasses and said "What are you? Some kind of sex fiend??"

I stood there for a fraction of a second and then said "Ok, well, have a nice day. Let's go kids!!" And I herded them all around his cart as he was mumbling something under his breath.

Trust me buddy. I have four small children...I don't have time for sex. I am no sex fiend...just ask my husband.

Ok, so I am now off to Disney for the weekend. My oldest is turning 8 on Sunday!!! I will be gone for a few days. Awww, it's ok. Don't cry. I promise I will post lots of pics when we get back.

18 comments:

Mom said...

Are you for real? How rude! That is one thing I don't understand about older folks they sometime think they can say anything they want.

Leah said...

SEX FIEND!!!! OMG!!!! I nearly choked reading that. LOL!!!!!! WOW. And I thought I'D gotten some weird comments from people before, but I've never gotten THAT one! how funny.

have fun in disney. SOMEDAY my children will get there, too. But we need money. and time. and a daddy to change his mind (he wants NOTHING to do with the place!)

Amanda B. said...

Oh My Goodness!!! Wow- you handled that very well! People can be so weird!

Wow- have a good time at Disney! Happy Birthday to Mikaily! I can't believe she is 8.

Delena said...

Laughing out loud! And I'm all alone. That's is hilarious. Someday we'll be able to get away with such comments, just because we're old! Have fun at Disneyland. Watch out for those little old men. I hear they're all over Disney.

dawn klinge said...

:0 I cant believe that dirty old man! What a crazy, rude thing to say- particularly in front of your kids. Please forgive me...this made me laugh pretty hard ;)I liked what you said regarding that rude remark.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Only someone who didn't have kids would ask that question. Either that or he must have some rare form of turretts syndrome. possibly both. I mean come on not only do you not have time for sex, but you are so worn out from the daily grind you couldn't even if you wanted to.

Betsy Hart said...

OMG I totally understand about the weirdos... we have some... interesting people here in Oregon too. My best friend has twin boys who are a year older then her girl. When they were all littler people asked all the time if they were triplets. I always wondered how stupid can you be?? A one year old looks ALOT different then a newborn!

KG said...

That's AWESOMELY BAD! Sort of like how today I simultaneously: 1) got hit on by a guy in the liquor store and then 2) had somebody mistaken me for being pregnant. I was really confused - do I look pregnant or hot?

Autumn said...

What a nut job. I actually think its pretty funny because if it were me I think my reaction would be so stunned I wouldn't know what to say. I think he was just dying to get that out of his mouth in one way or another since your kids are clearly so far apart in age. He couldn't wait for your reaction.

onthegomom said...

What in the heck?!? I am shocked and speechless. Crazy, I say!

Have a great time at Disney! :-)

desirae said...

Oh my gosh.. Hysterical.. I love how people just open their mouths and just release.. Maybe he was wanting to know, because he was looking for a date.. Hoping you were or something... I was cracking up when I read what he said.. Just picturing an old man saying something like that... Have fun at Disney, and I hope your son has a happy birthday.

Unknown said...

Was he looking for some action?

Holy Crap!!! I can not believe someone,a complete stranger, said that to you!!! I tease my sister all the time but she has 6 kids and well she is my sister, not a complete stranger. I love your response. Just walk away from the wierd old man. :)

Family Adventure said...

How RUUUUUDE! I can't believe he'd say that...some people are just not worth the time of day, you know?

Heidi

Kathy said...

How rude! I live in Kentucky, which is about as south as it gets for me, but I couldn't imagine! Sorry you had to deal with that.


www.kathy-iamwhoiam.blogspot.com

Shan said...

Okay that's just plain creepy.

Don Mills Diva said...

OMG that is so RUDE! Old men get away with a hell of a lot more than young men do!

Mrs. Blimes said...

that is so so funny...we all know your dirty little secret now val!

Mrs. Blimes said...

whenever you want girl! all we gotta do is bust out the hidabed and get an air matress!