Monday, March 3, 2008

Man, I Hate Vomit!

It's 2 am on Thursday morning.

"Mommy. MOMMY!" I hear Mikaily say. "Mommy, my tummy hurts."

That was the beginning....

I spent the next 9 hours sitting by my daughter. I rubbed her back and held her hair out of the way as she proceeded to throw up over and over and over again. She kept saying that her tummy hurt. It got worse and worse until it was so bad she was curled up in a ball screaming in pain.

For those who don't know, Mikaily was a preemie. She was 8 weeks early and has had numerous medical problems. When she was born, she had something called a brain bleed. The bleed (which happens when those tiny blood vessels burst) caused some scarring that closed off the tiny tube in her head that would normally drain fluid out of her brain. Her brain began to swell. They had to put in a small tube, called a shunt, that goes from her brain, down the back of her head, around the side of her neck, down the center of her breastbone and into her stomach, where it drains all that extra fluid. (Isn't modern medicine AMAZING?!?) She had this shunt placed when she was 3 weeks old. She weighed barely 3 pounds at the time and was only 16 inches long.

So, when Mikaily was in so much pain and was throwing up so much, I decided I needed to call the doctor. We took her in. They told us we needed to immediately take her to the Children's hospital here. They told us it was one of three things....
1. A nasty virus
2. Appendicitis
3. Her shunt


We were so scared. I took her over to the ER. I looked at my beautiful baby girl as we were waiting in the ER. She looked so weak. Her skin was pale. Her lips barely had any color and were so dry they looked like they were cracking already. She was not in good shape. They decided they needed to start an IV right away. They stuck her once.....her vain blew immediately. They tried a second time in the other arm....same thing. They called someone else.....someone with more experience. She tried and was, for a third time, unsuccessful. They decided we would have to try and give her fluids by mouth, very slowly. I spent 5 hours that night, waking her up every 10 minutes, trying to get a teaspoon at a time into her. They had given her some medicine to stop the vomiting. Thank God it worked.

They ran a bunch of tests. They did X-rays and CT Scans and ultrasounds and bloodwork. After all that, they decided they couldn't really tell us exactly what was causing the pain, but they decided it wasn't her shunt or appendicitis. They did tell us that they think she might be outgrowing her shunt, which means brainsurgery to replace it is most likely in her near future. They said it sounded like food poisoning, but she hadn't eaten anything that the rest of the family hadn't. Their best guess was that it was a nasty virus that hit her harder because she has a weakened immune system. I didn't care, as long as they could make her better.

We spent two days in the hospital. She is doing better now. She is still not eating well and is still not really back to being properly hydrated yet. I am thinking we still have a long couple days ahead of us. I am tired, I am hungry, my house looks like a tornado hit it and I don't care. I am going to go snuggle my baby girl and be thankful that she is home.

And like a true mommy blogger, I had my camera with me.....

Just FYI....My husband came to keep me company on Saturday after I had stayed up all night long with Kaily in the super uncomfy hospital chair waking her up every ten minutes to help her feel better while he was at home sleeping in our BED..... Isn't he a sweetheart?

After two days of eating absolutely nothing they gave her this big menu to choose from and out of everything she chose....a corndog??!

Here she is leaving the hospital looking MUCH perkier...

16 comments:

the dragonfly said...

That poor, sweet girl. I'm glad she's doing better, and hope she continues to improve!!!

(oh, and she has a lovely smile :)

dawn klinge said...

What an awful few days you've had. Your poor girl, I'm glad she's out of the hospital and doing better- she sure is cute, even when she's sick.

Leah said...

awww, the poor little sweetheart! I'm glad it ended up being nothing serious (right?) and she's on the mend. What a scare!!! My guess was going to be appendicitus based on my own symptoms almost exactly a year ago. I hope she, and YOU, both get some good rest

Bonnie B. said...

Man, it's never easy to watch your child suffer while they're sick, let alone all the extra stuff they have to go through in the hospital. So glad she's doing better!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog, AND leaving a comment! Love those comments!

Jennifer said...

Im glad she is doing better! Spending time at the hospital with your baby (no matter how old they are) is no fun.

I hope you get some rest so that you dont end up sick!

~Jennifer

Kellan said...

Oh My! Poor baby girl! She looked so much better in that last picture - I'm so glad she got to go home and sorry to hear that all happened to her!! I hope she recovers quickly now that she is home. Take care of that sweet girl! Kellan

Beth Cotell said...

Poor baby! I'm so glad she is feeling better!

everyday katie said...

I didn't know a virus could do hat to a kid. That is heart breaking. I'm glad she's doing better. It's amazing what moms can do when needed. When I kid is up during the night asking for chapstick or something dumb...getting up is the worst thing in the world. But when they truly need you...you just step up. You wouldn't even dream of sleeping through that. You're amazing.

Good luck with the upcoming surgery. It's probably lucky that you went in so the small shunt doesn't cause a problem.

Melissa said...

OH my gosh your poot daughter. I hope that she is feeling better!! Oh you must have had such a hard past few days. Hopefully you all will get some much needed rest!

Kari said...

How absolutely terrifying! I'm glad she's doing a bit better. We'll keep her in our prayers and on the prayer roll in D.C.

Anonymous said...

wow, what an ordeal. I know spending months at a time in hospitals, and I feel you pain... there's nothing like bringing them home! that's all that matters.

oh, and how does she manage to look like such an angel sitting sick in a hospital bed?!

Theresa said...

Poor thing. I hope she is feeling better soon. How old is she? What a beautiful gift from God. Theresa

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I wish I had read this entry prior to commenting on your latest. I can't even imagine how scary that was. I'm glad she's feeling better.

Kathy said...

Oh that poor child, I feel bad for her! Glad she's out of the hospital though, hang in there!!


www.kathy-iamwhoiam.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

Oh that poor child, I feel bad for her! Glad she's out of the hospital though, hang in there!!


www.kathy-iamwhoiam.blogspot.com

One Scrappy Gal said...

Just saw this... you poor thing... how scary!! But I'm glad she's doing much better now. Give her a hug from us!!