Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mind Your Manners

I try to teach my children good manners.

I try to teach them that their actions speak louder than their words. (That is, unless they are trying to smack each others heads off and then I confuse them and tell them to use their words.)

I try to teach them to be polite.

When we were leaving church this past Sunday, I asked my son Kyle to scoot on ahead of me and open the door since I had my hands full of baby and bag and all other sorts of crap. He did. I expect this of him. I walked out and he began to follow. He looked back and noticed that there was another women with her two small children coming behind him. He ran back, grabbed the door, flung it open and then held it for them to walk out before letting the door swing back closed. I smiled.

We were at the doctors office yesterday. Mikaily and Evan were playing in the playhouse that is there. There are two small chairs in this house. There was another little girl that came in who was maybe 3. She walked into the playhouse and immediately my daughter stood up and asked her if she wanted one of the little chairs to sit on. I smiled.

This morning Evan got up and said "Mommy!!!!!! I am hungry. I want a waffle." I gently reminded him that he needed to ask the proper way. His response was "Mommy, will you just me the waffle. NOW!"

Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

19 comments:

Mom said...

Good job mom! the other one will come around :)

dawn klinge said...

Your kids sound very sweet. We all have "off" moments :)

Unknown said...

my children are freakishly nice to everyone around them but continually forget to be nice to mommy.

Unknown said...

Well they can't be perfect all the time. :)

Christina

Kellan said...

Manners is where I have definitely failed as a mother - not matter how hard I try, I can't get my kids to use good manners - at least at home.

Cute post - see you later - Kellan

Theresa said...

Hmmm, that waffle story sounds a little too familiar. I believe I have a little man who has used those same words on me.

Have a good night. Theresa

Bonnie the Boss said...

2 out of 3 is not bad. Pat yourself on the back.You deserve it.
Bonnie

Cecily R said...

Perfection is overrated anyway. The first two are fabulous!!

desirae said...

This cracked me up.. Sounds like my five year old.. He once informed me I was his maid.. (yeah he spent a little alone time in his bedroom for that one.)

Rose Daughter said...

we all have our off moments. But good job, they seem like good kids.

Leah said...

ha ha ha!! That sounds sooooo much like something Jared would say! ha ha ha, still giggling here. LOL!!!

I love it when the manners we've tried so hard to instill in them shine through...

Autumn said...

I LOVE it that he opened the door for someone else without being prompted!!! So nice!

girlymom said...

Don't get between a growing boy and his food! Yikes! Ha.

Anonymous said...

and then I confuse them and tell them to use their words... priceless.

and yes, the one good thing about having 4 boys is dad has taught them well that mom should never have to touch a door. always nice.

2 out of 3 is a winning hand!

just go make the dang waffle mom.

The Cochran Family said...

Ahhh, you did more than smile, you beemed! Every pour of proud mamma beemed insisde you....way to go Val!

Amanda B. said...

Hey Valarie!Funny story! :) I just found this site through Lisa C's. I just started my own blog- it is still a work in progress. I will add you to my list. Check it out: www.crazyfunlove.blogspot.com

Heather said...

I always find that manners are reserved for strangers, and mommy gets the rotten treatment. At least other people think my children are well-behaved.

Unknown said...

Val,
Where are you? Hope all is okay at your house!!
I miss your funny posts!!
Christina

Damama T said...

Whatever you are doing, keep it up. The first two are evidence that you are on the right track. Evan'll catch on. They are all smart kids - just like their mommy!