Sunday, December 16, 2007

Today, I Almost Became a Widow

Today, I almost became a widow. Now, before you go getting all worried and panicked for me, read on.....

Let me give you a little background first. We go to church each week. My husband teaches one of the youth classes there. So, last week he comes to me and tells me that they are going to be leaving 15 minutes early the following week (that would be today) to go somewhere for some "training" (I put that in quotes because usually "training" means sitting on a couch, zoning out for, oh, about 45 minutes, and then eating some cookies) after church this week. He told me he had talked to someone else and he had a ride to the training and back home after, so we wouldn't have to worry about taking two cars or blah blah blah blah....I said it was fine. No big deal.

So, as we are getting dressed and ready for church today my children are being HORRIBLE. In fact, I think horrible is an understatement. They were being whatever is 2 steps up from horrible. They continued on the whole time we were at church. I was happy when it was time for me to send them off to their classes and be able to enjoy some time away from them while someone else dealt with their horribleness. One of the reasons I drag them off to church each week is because I actually get some ALONE time (Oh, and plus they get to learn about God and how to be non-horrible of course).

But anyways...Skip ahead to church ending. I gather up my little horribles (with the help of my wonderful sister, Tracy) and begin herding them towards the exit. *GASP!!!* I don't have keys!! My husband had driven here. I searched my FABULOUS red bag to see if my hubby had dropped the keys in without my knowledge. Nope, no such luck. He was gone. Off to "training" with the keys to my freaking van in his freaking pocket!! I need to call him! No, that won't work...he doesn't bring his phone to church. I didn't know where he was. He never told me. I didn't know exactly when he would be home. HE NEVER TOLD ME! All I knew is that I was standing in the hallway with a hungry baby and three screaming banshees that claimed to be my children with no freaking keys!

Luckily I have one of the most amazing sisters in the world and she drove out to my house, got the extra set of keys, and then drove out to the church to bring them to me (I say one of the most amazing and not THE most amazing because my other sister, Tracy, is as equally amazing because she volunteered to stay and wait with me to help me tame my wild beasts).

We ended up having to wait for an hour. It's a good thing I am no rookie mom and had a few things in my bag to keep them occupied for at least a chunk of that time. (See!!! Sometimes it comes in handy to carry a bag of marshmallows with you everywhere you go! If you don't understand that...just click HERE and it will all make sense)

I spent a good chunk of that hour coming up with ways to repay my husband for his "mishap." Hence, "Today, I almost became a widow." We actually ended up pulling up into the driveway the same time he was being dropped off. He was oblivious. He had no idea he had left us stranded. He was genuinely apologetic. DANG IT! Why's he gotta be so darn cute?? I gave him a short, but firm, guilt trip.......and then I made dinner. *big sigh*

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ugh - I HATE HATE HATE being stuck anywhere. I think I would have come close to losing my mind, LOL. I guess its a good thing then that I am the one who always drives (well drove when DH was here, LOL) because if he had my keys, and left me stranded with all 7 kids, I think we would be divorced before he ever got home, LOL.
~Jennifer

Kellan said...

You're so cute - this was such a good post and a fine tribute to us vetran moms and wives - we can get through just about any crises (with a little help from our sisters of course). Take care and hope you have a great week. Kellan

onthegomom said...

Wow, I am not sure what I would of done. Panic comes to mind, but not like hysterical panic, more like I am going to KILL HIM panic...LOL I could see my husband doing that and me being all mad and then him being all sincere and looking cute and all my plans would go to crap.

Good job on keeping your head and having that extra pair at home!

dawn klinge said...

That really is a fabulous red bag you have there- I love it! That was a great story even though it was a horrible thing that happened to you- you told it so well. I would have been pretty upset about being stranded also. What is it about Sunday mornings that turn kids into such horrible little creatures sometimes? Mine are almost always horrible on Sunday mornings before church.

Cecily R said...

That kind of stuff happens to me all the time, and when they do the small people in my house are never being nice, calm small people either.

When Jon runs away with stuff I need I try my best to only give him short guilt trips too. That way, when I leave with the proverbial keys to the van, I can say, "Remember when..." and he can shut up about it. :)

Family Adventure said...

Thank goodness for amazing sisters...and a highly capable mom.

Heidi :)

One Scrappy Gal said...

That stinks but kudos to you and your sisters!! Everyone should have a bag of marshmallows or assorted treats in their bag... because you just never know!! One of my horror fantasies is being stranded in a car or cabin with my children and not having a thing to eat. So I always carry lots of beverages and snacks... just in case...

Unknown said...

Sunday morning turn my kids into little carazies too!! It might have somethng to do with church starting at 8:30 am and me yelling and screaming for everyone to hurry up and get in the car. It really sets the mood for church!! =)

Good thing you have that red bag!! I always carry fruit snacks in my "church" bag. (translation of church bag = bag that is full of books, crayons, coloring books, happy meal toys, 17 ziploc bags of crushed cheerios, and of course gum.)

Christina

everyday katie said...

I may not always feel as sympathetic as I do at this moment. My crazies were two steps up from horrible this morning while I had all my visiting teaching sisters over for a holiday luncheon. In all honesty...more horrible than I think they have ever behaved...ever.

When it was all over, I locked them in their room for an early nap and called my very unsympathetic husband to vent. He just thought it was funny. It may be funny some day...but I'm not ready to laugh about it yet.

Valarie said...

Christina- LOL! I don't think I could survive church without the gum!!
Katie- Sorry you had a rough morning. I UNDERSTAND!! I hope at least the food was good.

Leah said...

YIKES! What an ordeal... HUGS to you, and KUDOS for surviving it!

desirae said...

That is almost grounds for divorce. I would have spent the hour figuring up child support payments, and what holidays he was going to get the kids.. lol.. Glad it all worked out, (meaning that you aren't still at the church waiting for the hubby to put 2 and 2 together and come to your aid.. That would have been awhile.. Guys are dorks.)

girlymom said...

Oh man, after all that you still made dinner. You Are a Veteran Mom!!
I pray every week for the patience to get through the week. I think if I were in your shoes, I would have been back on my knees asking for extra patience, just a little extra dosage! It was very nice of your sisters to help out.

Suburban Correspondent said...

How did your sister get the keys from your locked house? Inquiring minds want to know.

After locking myself out of my car once or twice, I've taken to always carrying spare keys in my purse. And I have house keys at 3 different neighbors' houses, just in case...because nothing screws up your day like being locked out!

Valarie said...

Suburban- We have a code you can use to get in through our garage. Plus, she has an extra key to the house just in case.

Heather said...

Before I read your whole post, just after reading "I almost became a widow," I immediately wondered what your husband had done to make you want to end his life. Too funny!