Saturday, December 22, 2007

Sometimes I Wish I Had a Pause Button

Today was one crazy day. I had to run around and finish up all my last minute Christmas shopping. I didn't really have anything in particular I wanted to get, but I love a great deal and I knew the stores would have lots of 'em today.

For some reason, my brain wasn't working right this morning. I was talking to my husband and came up with the bright idea to take EVERYONE....all 4 children....out shopping with us. Why would I do this? Today of all days! I knew the stores would be crowded. I knew it would be the kind of day where you have to wait in line to even walk down the aisle in the stores. I knew that my boys would knock over displays during their constant fist fights and that I would have to listen to my daughter complain that it was "boring" and about how we had been in the store for "like a thousand million hours." I KNEW it would be horrible. But I found the words coming out of my mouth like word vomit.... "Why don't we get everyone up and ready and spend the day out shopping together?"

As we were walking down one of the aisles of a store I happened to glance over and see a magazine that had Jamie Lynn Spears on the cover. I know you all (at least those of you who don't live under a rock:) ) have heard about this 16 year old child who has recently announced to the entire world that she is 3 months pregnant. It makes my heart hurt. I know that there are many young women in the world who find themselves in the same situation. It would be so hard to be in that situation if you lived a "normal" life. I can't even imagine what the paparazzi are going to do to this poor child. But that is a whole other post.

So anyways...back on track. So, my daughter, who is 7, began to get ancy. She didn't want to be in Kohls anymore. She wanted to go to a toy store. She began to cry. Her cries became louder. I tried to comfort her. She started to throw a fit. Normally, I would then begin the "You are way too old to be throwing a fit in public" lecture, but today I found myself enjoying her fit. Yeah, didn't see that coming, did ya? I grabbed her and hugged her. I bent down and gave her a great big kiss on her forehead.

I have never been so happy to have my little girl act like a LITTLE GIRL. I am so glad she hasn't decided to grow up yet. Time is going by so quickly and I know it won't be long until she is 16 and having to make some difficult decisions and I pray that she will be able to make good decisions. I know that I often find myself saying things like "You are 7 years old and 7 year olds don't act like that" or "don't act like a baby unless you want to be treated like a baby." I forget, probably because she is my oldest, that she is ONLY 7 and it's normal for a 7 year old to act like a child because a 7 year old still is a child.

Sometimes I wish I had a pause button........But since that is out of the question, I think I will try a little harder to really enjoy her childhood....temper tantrums and all.

Here are a few random pics of my beautiful Mikaily...I love you....you will always be my little princess.






10 comments:

dawn klinge said...

A very sweet post. I find myself rushing my oldest daughter to grow up one minute and then wanting to keep her a little girl the next. Your daughter is very cute, those are great pictures.

One Scrappy Gal said...

She is such a sweet, lovely little girl. I love her pictures!!

My son has recently taken to climbing up the table and just sitting there, giggling, until I come to "rescue" him. It's become a little game for us. At first, I was annoyed and concerned, but you know what? It's just so NICE to see him acting like a typical 2 year old!! It's been a long, rough road with him. I, too, want to just enjoy his and his sister's (soon this baby's too) childhood. God knows time flies by too fast.

Leah said...

Gorgeous little girl, and beautiful reminder to enjoy our children's childhood, tantrums and all! Thank you!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Amen. Amen. Amen
Amen to your momentary lapse in sanity shopping three days before Christmas on a SATURDAY and surviving!
Amen to the tragic example of Jamie Lynn Spears - but the miracle of birth! (both my boys are adopted from teenage birth mothers that made the ultimate sacrifice)
Amen to your baby still being a baby. I have a 6 and 4 year old and I find myself actually expecting the 4 year old to do things that my 6 year old would never have done at age 4. Good that you breathed in the moment enjoying it.

KEEP BELIEVING

Family Adventure said...

Oh I know what you mean...we just want to keep them small and lovely and easy to manage. Not 16 and pregnant. Gawd. I have much to say on that topic, but I shall control myself.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. It's been a thrill to find you!

Heidi

Kellan said...

She is a little doll and this was a beautiful post! We all need to remember this - to hang on to these children tight - before they slip away. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your precious family. I will see you soon. Kellan

Jillybean said...

I agree with you about wanting a pause button for my children(a mute button would be nice sometimes also;0)
My 12 yo son is nearly as tall as me. My 2 yo recently told me "I'm not baby." I let him know that even though he isn't a baby, he will always be MY baby.
Great post, you have darling children!
Jill

Maria said...

What a cutie and what a good attitude! You're right, though. When the kids are all grown, we're going to miss them being little, tantrums and all.

Maria said...

Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

yes, yes and yes, I agree. It is hard to see these young girls being thrusted into adulthood (by their own doings, but still)and I am guilty of telling my 7 year old the same things you tell yours.

Bless their hearts and make them stay young!