Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Super Fun Week-ish

This past week-ish was definitely fun-filled for me! (Hopefully it was for all of you, too.)

We had an excellent Thanksgiving. My family does Thanksgiving slightly different than most (not a surprise...we are an odd bunch). Ok, actually it's not slightly different...we do it very different.

None of us are huge turkey lovers. I am not much of a meat eater. I don't eat it very often and when I do, it's pretty much chicken (because, let's face it...chicken tastes goooood). So I would definitely prefer not to have to cook one of the big, creepy looking turkeys in my beautiful kitchen. Instead, we have a really big breakfast. I make eggs and biscuits and gravy and potatoes and bacon (yes, I know bacon is a meat) and cinnamon rolls and pancakes and lots and lots of super yummy breakfast food. It's a tradition my husband and I started years ago. It works for us. My sisters and my niece came over and we ate and hung out and played video games on the Wii (which I am really, really BAD at! My 4 year old can beat me at bowling...and golf....and tennis...and cow racing....) and we just enjoyed being together.

Then, for those of you that know me well you know I LIVE for Black Friday. It is probably one of my favorite days of the entire year.

My sister, Tracy, and I got up at 2:45am on Friday morning.


By 3:30am, we were standing in line at Kohls with all of the other crazies (notice the temp. That is definitely a major perk of shopping at 4 in the morning in Florida!!).

Tracy and I always have the same game plan. On Thanksgiving day we sort through the ads together. We make our lists and decide what we will be on the hunt for. There is absolutely no shopping around.

We went to Kohls first because it opened at 4. We ran in, grabbed what was on our lists (because we are the fastest and can throw the best elbows. J/K!) We were in and out in 15 minutes!

Next, we headed over and got in line at Toys'R'Us, which opened at 5. Again, we grabbed what was on our list (except for one item that they had mistakenly "forgot" to put out that morning. Someone should be FIRED!) It took us slightly longer there due to the stocking error, but it was the "jackpot" store of the day.

Target opened at 6, so we headed over there next and got in line next. The woman behind us in line was so annoying. First she complained about how crazy the people had been at Wal-Mart (Umm, DUH! Wal-Mart shoppers are pretty psychotic on non-shopping frenzy days. What did you expect??). Then she complained about the fact that they weren't opening the doors early even though there were so many people in line (Umm, yeah. Duh again! Those workers inside would rather be visiting the proctologist than standing in there, waiting for the mobs to descend.) I was so thankful when the line started moving and we got away form her!

We then headed over to Wal-Mart (because we are glutton for punishment) and after we headed over to the mall. We ended up making a killing. By 8:30 we were back home in bed. The trunk was FULL of games and toys and other fun stuff by the end of the morning. We figured it out and although we ended up with more than $1000 (retail value) of crap, we paid less than half of that for it! SCORE!


My parents then came into town on Friday afternoon and we headed out with our mom for round two that evening.

Saturday morning I FINALLY got to see Twilight with my sisters and my mom. I loved it. Enough said.

Sunday we all decided to go to the Pier at the beach. They always have good entertainment and lots of cool vendors selling fun knick-knacks. We got to dance on a stage to some funky calypso music (I know, don't be jealous!) and my niece had her picture taken with Santa (who was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and bermuda shorts) and the picture was hilarious because although she didn't cry, she looks terrified!!) Then, my husband decided that he wanted to try this trampoline bungee thingy (after Tracy had paid for Evan to do it but he chickened out once he got onto the trampoline). They hook you up to a bunch of bungee cords and you jump on a trampoline and go flying way high into the air. Each time he jumped and went higher and higher, he would yell "weeeee" or "woohooo" or "whoopy" a little louder. At one point, when he was jumping so high he would fly up into the air and the bungee would actually have to pull him back down before he went flying off into the dark, night sky, he yelled "This....." then bounced..... "IS...." then bounced..... "FUN!!!!!!!" (See, this is why I tell everyone I have FIVE children.) He ended up gathering a crowd. Tracy said she thinks they should have given her a partial refund because of the business he brought in from his hootin' and hollerin'. Of course this is the ONE time I forget to bring my camera with me.

I spent today just hanging out with my family and, yet again, got my butt kicked by a little, bald 4 year old on the Wii.

It was a pretty great week-ish.

How was yours??

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Last Friday I slept in until 9:00am, It was fantastic!! :)

Betsy Hart said...

You are a crazy woman! Did you hear about that man the people trampled who worked for walmart?? INSANE! Glad that you had a good week though, mine was BORING with work and school and more work.

Jenny said...

What's funny to me is that you managed to take pictures of your "black friday" events--yet not of your husband flying sky-high attached to bungee cords...slight problem there! :) Seriously, you are insane girl! Do you save up all your Christmas money for black friday? I've always THOUGHT about doing it, but never had the balls to go through with it--I think I might want to punch some people! At least you had Tracy with you to laugh with--that probably helped!

Mrs. Blimes said...

awe, it sounds like yall had such a great time!!! i didnt get to do ANY black friday shopping!!! drew is not into going out on black friday... blah...

glad you liked twilight!!!

im about to start the 4th book...i cant believe i got sucked in.

dawn klinge said...

Your family always sounds like such a fun bunch of people. My sister and mom do the crazy 4 am Black Friday shopping, it's a sport for them...I just say tell them have fun while I sleep in. ;)

Erynn Marie said...

Wow. That is all.

Amanda B. said...

Sounds like a great time! :) I actually really like the idea of a breakfast....I think that is really cool! Whenever you read my blog, you will see my weekend wasn't the greatest...we had the stomach flu go around...I know you know what that is like! :( But, I did get to see some family. And, I went shopping on Friday for the first time EVER but STILL haven't seen Twilight (due to the evil stomach thing....ugh...), but we survived it! Glad you had a great weekend! :)

Amanda B. said...

Wow! That sounds like a great weekend! :) I actually really like the idea of a breakfast- that sounds pretty awesome! Mine wasn't the greatest because the stomach flu came through here...enough said...I know you understand! :( But, I did get to see some family, and I went out shopping on Friday for the first time EVER! But, still havent' gotten to see Twilight (I would have this weekend, but the stupid stomach flu got in the way!!!!) But, we survived it. Glad you had a good weekend! :)

Bondfam said...

Wow. You are one crazy chic! We're the type of people to stay home & decorate for Christmas on Black Friday. Although this year hubby stopped at a few places after his paper route. He said it wasn't too bad.

Like the breakfast idea, although I don't think bacon really is considered a meat!

shannon said...

you and tracy are hilarious...i'd love to do a black friday morning with you two! glad you had a great week!

Valarie said...

Jenny- Yup, I tend to spend the majority of my money on black Friday (becuase you can get three tiems the stuff for half the price), but I always save a little for the outrageous deals that you find here and there after, too.

Erynn- You know me well. Are you really "wowed" by this??

Shannon- Well, we'll count you in for next year!! Just plan on being in Florida because there is NO WAY I am gonna be there in November!! I've done black Friday in the cold before and I don't ever want to again, thank you very much! :p

Kathy said...

Wow! Thanksgiving breakfast. My family doesn't do that, but I love breakfast foods so I like the idea. I do not do Black Friday though. I actually finished most of my shopping before Friday so I'm mostly set. Glad you enjoyed it and stocked up though.

Kari said...

Sounds like a fun week though I have to say you and Tracy are crazy to get up that early!!! Or maybe I'm the crazy one, my mom, sisters, sister-in-laws all love it, but I am not an early morning person nor a big shopper, but it sounds like you got some awesome deals! Your Thanksgiving breakfast sounds wonderful! Reading about it made me hungry for breakfast foods.