Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Deserve a Freaking Award!!

My husband was away on business the beginning of this week.

Last night, I got 4 small children fed, bathed, dressed, brushed, read to and in bed by myself...ON TIME. (although, is it just me, or does bedtime always seem to go much smoother when husbands are out of town..??)

I unloaded the dishwasher. Then I reloaded the dishwasher.

I folded and put away all of the laundry that was beginning to over run my couch (yet again).

I took the dog for a walk. Ok, so really I took the dog out in the front yard and yelled "Hurry up you slow poke. Do your business! I'm a very busy woman!" which then made me break out into song "and I haven't got all day! It won't cost much...just your voice!! Which, of course, needed some choreography as well. And then I waved to my neighbors who, I am pretty sure, refer to me as "the crazy lady." I fed and watered the dog.

After I came inside, I packed lunches for my children for school. I gathered up their clothes, including shoes and socks, and laid them out so they would be all ready in the morning when I had to drag all 4 children out to the bus stop that is a mile away from our house.

I decided to take a short break and check my email. I signed on to my Yahoo page and noticed the little box that has the weather in it. I looked at the numbers. I laughed a little and though to myself, "That's funny. Yahoo messed up the temperature. It says it's going to be 47 tomorrow. I'm sure it should be 74." I decided, just to be safe, to check a second weather website. Crap!! CRAP CRAP CRAP!! 47 degrees?!? I had laid out shorts for my children to wear. They can't wear shorts when it's 47 degrees outside. Well, they could, but then I wouldn't deserve my freaking award now, would I?? So, I went back and dug to the very bottom of their drawers where, luckily, they each had one pair of pants that I always keep, just in case......

I sat back down at my computer and started to blog surf. Big mistake when it is already 10:30 at night! I was good though, and I actually set a timer for 45 minutes and made myself get off the computer so I could go put the load of dishes away before finally heading off to bed.

I think it was about 12:15 when I looked at the clock before I drifted off to sleep.

Less than an hour later, at 1:07, I was woken up by a shrill scream. I run into the bedroom just in time to see Evan's dinner (for the second time if you get my drift) all over his bed.

I tell Kaily and Kyle to go sleep on the couches in our toy room. I figure it will be quieter and darker on that side of the house. I strip Evan and put him in the shower, where he throws up again. I get him out and redressed and put him on the floor in the hallway while I strip his bed and clean it off as best I can in the midst of my grogginess.

I spend the next 5 and a half hours on mommy duty. I will spare you all the lovely details. Trust me, you're very thankful.

Then, I have to wake up Kaily and Kyle and get them dressed and fed and ready for school while running back to Evan every 10 minutes or so to make sure he is getting to the toilet when needed. I get Alaina up and dressed and fed. I dress Evan (who was such a sweetie and, after much persuading, agreed to wear a pull-up out to the bus stop so if he had an accident, it would be contained).

I even managed to remember to pull the garbage cans out to the end of the driveway because it was trash day. (See, I am definitely award worthy!)

After I sent Kaily and Kyle off, I came back home where I waited for my sister to drop off my niece and then spent the next 9 hours playing with and caring for two psychotic toddlers and a cranky, crabby, stinky, exploding 4 year old.

Oh, and tonight was Kaily's school musical performance that she actually had a speaking part in. So, after I got the kids off the bus I had to oversee homework, make and feed dinner and then get everyone dressed so I could run over to my sister's where I dropped off my niece, Laney and Evan, and then took Kaily and Kyle and went over to watch Mikaily do a FABULOUS job in her musical. (Despite the fact that she yawned 3 different times due to lack of sleep from the night before.) I'm sure I will post more on her Emmy Award winning performance at a later date.

I then went back and picked up my children from my sister's and drove home only to find that three of my four littles were sound asleep and needed carried in. *sigh*

Now I am home and running on less than an hour of sleep and what am I doing?? BLOGGING!!

I am soooo going off duty this weekend!!!!!

26 comments:

Jennifer said...

If I knew how to do anything other than blog on the computer I would SO make you an award!!

Sugar Mommy said...

YOU ROCK GIRL!

Porters said...

You are such an amazing mom. I would have had a break down some time during all that craziness. Don't you just hate how it always happens when the husband is away, always. Can't we just get a break as mothers!

Mrs. Blimes said...

sometimes when i read your blog i get really scared of having babies! lol but i know how cute yours are (i hope mine is cute enough to make things like 2am vomitting worth it) hee hee

you do deserve a freaking award btw.

ohiolanges said...

Big Award. And yes, bedtime goes more quickly with the charming, entertaining fathers away.

Erynn Marie said...

Ai ai ai. And I was just thinking that I was ready to start thinking about #2. That is, in fact, amazing. But then, we already knew that about you, didn't we? (By the way, we're the WilcoxEs...for your blog list. :)

Unknown said...

If I knew where you lived I would send chocolate cus that is the best reward!! Now go to sleep!!!! You are amazing!

Bondfam said...

Wow! You are truly deserving of an award! You have my admiration & sympathy.

Cecily R said...

Holy CRUMBS woman, you DO deserve an award. Or three. Or a night off. Or three.

Valarie said...

Christine- I couldn't agree more!!
Marquesas- Don't worry. I have 4, so obviously being a mom is fun for me!! (It's just not as entertaining to write/read about the "quite times."
Erynn- Thank you!! I figured it was wrong when I put it on there, but I also figured you would correct it. I still am not sure if I have Brucklemeyer spelled right, either!! :p

The Koenig Family said...

That is a ticket to the Celestial Kingdom, right?:) I hate days like that--we're trucking through this flu crap too and it is oh so fun....

The Koenig Family said...

That is a ticket to the Celestial Kingdom, right?:) I hate days like that--we're trucking through this flu crap too and it is oh so fun....

dawn klinge said...

You definitely deserve an award! I hope you get some time to yourself this weekend.

Jennifer said...

You get a high five from me on that one! I was at Hobby Lobby this morning and I saw a mom there with her little boy who was carrying a puke bowl with him. I thought of you and your ability to take on ANY situation!

Valarie said...

Jenn- I miss Hobby Lobby! I loved that store. Although, I don't think I would be brave enough to take it on with a puking child, even if he had his puke bowl with him!

Betsy Hart said...

You do deserve an award! Just dealing with the sickness alone would have me crying in the corner!

Amanda B. said...

Wow!! Yep- you need a big giant award!!! Anyone who thinks stay at home moms have it easy need to read this.... I hope he is feeling better!!

(and I totally understand...I had intended to get to bed a bit early, yet hear I sit at midnight, blog surfing...sigh...)

Oh, and 47 deg in Florida?? Yikes!

Mrs. Blimes said...

i've been blocked??? i'm PG-13? what the...?

Leah said...

wow, you definately deserve an award!!!

Kaci said...

You get my vote for best Mommy!! :) LOL! ROCK ON!

Sugar Mommy said...

You have been tagged!
Checkout www.adventuresofsugarmommy.blogspot.com

Shan said...

I don't think an award would quite cover all of that.

Beth Cotell said...

I hope you got your award, a massage and at least one day off the clock!

Mom said...

You rock !! I have a tough time with 2!

Unknown said...

award indeed...hope your baby is feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog & really enjoyed reading a few of your posts! I always find that when my husband's gone I stay up too late too... at least you still had the energy to keep us all entertained w/ a post!