Friday, October 24, 2008

I *heart* Evan! (and his big mouth)



My sweet, adorably beautiful Evan. He is getting so big. He turned 4 last month, you know. I love everything about him. I love his curly hair. I love his big (make that HUGE) brown eyes. I love the fact that he has an imaginary friend named Aliena that he has recently started kissing. I even love that fact that he would rather give a high 5 than a kiss. I love everything about that crazy little boy.

Lately, he has been starting to notice differences in people. So, we will be walking through the store and he will blurt out something like "Woah! That is an old guy." Or we will be sitting in a restaurant and he will say "That person doesn't have any legs!" All of his observations are true. He never intends ot be mean or hurtful. However, I have started trying to explain to him that there are certain things that we keep to ourselves because saying them out loud could hurt someones feelings and make them feel sad.

He still isn't getting it. The other day, I was laying on the floor beside him, playing dinosaurs and he says "Mommy, you are huge!" Ouch! That one stung a little. So, I told him that Yes, mommy was much bigger than he is, but that the word "huge" is one of those words that could make someone feel bad. He said he was sorry and we went on playing. I have to admit it I let it bother me more than I should have. I started thinking about how I should be getting more exercise and about how I probably should be more careful about what I eat. (Because I haven't been good about that lately).

Later that day, we had piled into the van to go get Mikaily and Kyle from school. While we were waiting, I turned on Cinderella for him. It has become his favorite movie. We were watching the scene where Cinderella was getting Gus out of the trap. Evan let out this squeal and then exclaimed "WOAH!!!! Cinderella is huge!"

I didn't feel so bad after that.


This is just a little video I stuck in here for my mom. He sang this for you and told me to put it on my 'puter so you could see him. :)

17 comments:

Erynn Marie said...

Hey hey, I'm the first to comment. What an adoreable little schnoog!

dawn klinge said...

He's an absolute doll! My four year makes these sorts of observations as well...it gets embarrassing sometimes.

Porters said...

You know what I have a kid just like that and isn't it funny that when they make those comments that they are always talking really loud. I feel for ya, I really do. I also couldn't stop laughing because my child made a comment about me too and I thought how dare she say that about me. It's kind of funny but when its turned on you, not so much!

Kellan said...

He's so darling, Valarie! I love his curly hair too and he sounds like a great little boy! I wouldn't take ANYTHING he says literally. Tomorrow his favorite word will likely be "tiny" and it will all balance out!

Have a good weekend - Kellan

Leah said...

awwww!!!!!!

Betsy Hart said...

Well, I had my best friends son tell me I was fat once.... I had to explain that I had a baby in my belly. LOL. I can see where it would bruise the ego a bit though... until I heard Cinderella was big too!

Damama T said...

It is such a challenge, this balance between teaching them to be truthful and tactful all at once. LOL!

I hope that if I ever have grandkids that their mother is as thoughtful as you. Putting up that video was wonderful. What a cutiepie!

Jennifer said...

That is why they invented peanut butter M&M's!!!

Autumn said...

now that's my kind of thinking. If Cinderella is huge, I'll be huge. How cute. I too love his awesome locks. A mini hunk!

Jenny said...

First of all, I think I would like this little imaginary friend of Evan's...she has a great name :) Second, if Cinderella is "huge" than my goal is to be as "huge" as cinderella and her 10 inch waist. Third, I could eat that boy....so cute!

Cecily R said...

Hey, being lumped in with a princess isn't that bad...

And oh my GOSH he is adorable!!!

Amanda B. said...

Oh, too cute! It is always so funny how kids say whatever is in their mind!

Definitely not so bad being compared to Cinderella... :)

Unknown said...

Oh my he is a cutie!! How do you reisit those big brown eyes? Tiffany is doing a lot of pointing and loudly telling me about people she sees too.

Kaci said...

AWHHH CUTE!

Unknown said...

he is a adorable.

My son, almost five, is OBSESSED with my breast...he will come by and rub his hands on them and say BOOBIES all crazy like...it is SO embarrassing.

Bonnie the Boss said...

I can't believe how adorable he is.

shannon said...

i think he's just dreamy...=)