Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Little Fish

This week is Laney's last week at swim lessons. She is doing really well. Yesterday's lesson was water safety. AKA.... "Today is the day we are going to show you that, even though you THINK your baby is doing really well, she will still die if she falls in a pool because you aren't watching her." They had us bring the babies in full clothes...shoes and all. It was interesting. I figured Laney would sink like a rock. She didn't, but she also seemed to forget everything she had learned and just kind of flopped around and bobbed up and down like a buoy.

At one point in the lesson the insructor was like "Ok, all the moms get out of the pool." We were all confused because we hadn't done anything previously that didn't involve us being IN the water with the babies. We all climbed out and then, one by one, watched as they dangled our babies over the water....and dropped them....

The whole time I was sitting on the edge of the pool, waiting for it to be Laney's turn, thinking "I can't believe I actually voluntarily signed up for this...AND PAID MONEY for them to drown my child." She didn't drown, of course. And it was definitely eye opening.

I think it is the closest I have ever come to having a heart attack. Laney couldn't get herself turned around and get a hold of the wall (like she was supposed to and could have if she had been in just a bathing suit) but she did keep kicking her feet and bobbing her head in and out of the water. Which was a step up from the little boy who went right before her who ended up with a big air bubble in the back of his shirt that tipped him forward, FACE DONW, in the water. Where he stayed.....until the instructor scooped him out. I guess we all still have a long ways to go.

My husband and I are planning on taking our older three and throwing them into the pool, fully dressed, to see what they do. You can look forward to those pictures. :)

I know you have already seen pictures of her swimming like this....

Look close and you can see the little, yellow flippers she's been wearing when we go. It's soo cute!

But last night we got back a picture of her and I figured I would share with you what she looks like from a different point of view...



She's a fish!! Tee Hee!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

How cute is that last picture!!! Sounds like the swimming class was very good!! How strange that the kids act different when they are dressed in clothes as opposed to swim suits. She is a little fish!!

Bonnie the Boss said...

She is an adorable fish too.

Mrs. Blimes said...

im so proud of my little neice!!! she looks so cute in her flippers!!! hee hee

everyday katie said...

I'm just amazed that she can swim in a swim suit. My 4 year old can't do that. The picture is incredibly adorable. You are a brave mom to let some one drop your kid in a pool. That would FREAK me out.

The Cochran Family said...

That is sooo cute! Sounds like it was worth the money! Ryan started lessons today. He was NOT happy and did not want to go, but he was the first to put his head under water and after doing so he was "I love putting my head under water!!!" that lil rat!

Amanda B. said...

That picture under water has got to be the cutest swimming baby picture I have ever seen!!! How cool that she is doing so well. That has got to be scary to watch though!

dawn klinge said...

Wow...what a cute picture!

Tracy B. said...

Those flippers are so cute. I'm trying to imagine her walking around outside the pool in flippers. It's funny in my mind.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I couldn't have watched that. I would have had nightmares for nights and nights afterwards.

Kellan said...

Valerie, she is adorable and that last picture is priceless!!

Take care - Kellan

Delena said...

I love the picture!!!! Does your digital camera work underwater?

Valarie said...

Delena- The swim school we take her to has an underwater, digital camera. They take pictures of all the kids underwater so you can get a goofy pic of what your child looks like when they are swimming. The pics of the older children were all adoarable because they were actually smiling at the camera.

Anonymous said...

I would have been TERRIFIED!! YIKES! Just reading this was terrifying!

I guess I should teach the kids to swim. I'm spanish and no one in my family knows how to swim. I know enough to stay afloat and not sink, but I'm not a very strong swimmer. Still...this would be a good skill to teach my kids... We are Navy so we are always near water!

Jennifer said...

That underwater picture rocks!

Cheffie-Mom said...

Oh my gosh! I think the last picture is the cutest picture I have ever seen on a blog!!! What a cutie!!

Leah said...

that underwater picture is so adorable!

Erynn Marie said...

What's the album with the baby swimming under water? That's what that last picture looks like. Only cuter, of course.