Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hazardous To Humans

Hazardous to Humans......that's what I read on the back of the bottle of Scrubbing Bubbles after my baby shot a stream of the stinky, white foam into her mouth.


My husband was brushing my oldest daughter's teeth last night and let Laney into the bathroom with them. I guess he became so enthralled with the whole molar scrubbing ordeal that he forgot about Laney for a few seconds. That's all the longer she needed to open the cabinet door (one of only a couple in the house that haven't had a child lock put on them yet), get out the bottle, take off the cap, insert into mouth and PRESTO.....she looked like she had been bit by a rabid dog and was foaming at the mouth.

Jason hollered for me. I came running because I could tell by the sound of his voice that something was wrong. He had her hanging over the sink already, and I immediately started scooping out the foam that was in her mouth before I even knew exactly what it was. I rinsed her mouth out with water the best I could and grabbed the bottle of Scrubbing Bubbles. I flipped it over and it read:

"Hazardous to Humans. If swallowed, call poison control immediately."

UGH!

So, we did. I was holding Laney is my arms as my husband dialed the number. I kept imagining that she was going to start convulsing in my arms. The guy my husband talked to didn't seem so worried, though. In fact, they talked for a total of about 30 seconds. He told Jason since we got to her so quickly it wasn't anything we needed to worry about. And that we just needed to watch her for the next little while to make sure she didn't get blisters in or around her mouth, because that would mean she was blistering inside as well (I'm sorry, WHAT?!?! Blistering inside!?!! HOW is that something we don't need to worry about??) But.... she didn't. She was fine.

The crappy thing is that I HATE HATE HATE scrubbing bubbles. I don't use it. I can't stand the way it smells. It reminds me of vomit and, therefore, makes me feel the need to hurl every time I smell it. So why in the world do I even have it in my house?!?! I guess I should stop procrastinating and get around to doing my spring cleaning and throwing out all the crap in my house I don't ever use......and put the last baby locks on the doors. That shouldn't be too hard, right?? You know, in all the spare time I have......

14 comments:

Amanda B. said...

Oh.... so scary! I am glad she is okay! I have had to call PC too, so don't feel bad. When Kenny was 2, he managed to open the door to our linen closet, get out the nail polish remover and take a swig! But, same thing- we were freaked, the PC person not too worried and he was fine! I feel your pain- so glad all is well!

Becky said...

Oy! Glad it all ended well for you with no harm to your child! We're rather familiar with poison control around the Frump house, too. Or rather, they are familiar with us calling, lol.

When my sister and her hubby were building their home, she was doing some painting on the trim around the house, and put the brush into a plastic picnic cup filled with turpentine. It clouded the water to look kind of milky white. Her 18 month old son (having had heart surgery only a couple of months earlier) toddled up and DRANK the "milk". He had to sleep sitting up so that he wouldn't aspirate it into his lungs. Ugh.

Kids...responsible for BILLIONS of gray hairs the world over.

Kellan said...

Oh, I would have been so scared! I'm glad it turned out alright and she is okay - poor baby!

Hope you are having a good weekend - Kellan

onescrappygal said...

YIKES!

I'm so glad she's OK!!

I went to the emergency room yesterday with my little guy for completely different reasons. I know how terrifying it is when you're little one is in trouble! WHEW!

P.S. I'm terrified of Scrubbing Bubbles. I used to have nightmares that they'd come after me whenever I'd take a bath. The commercials were scary!

Dawn said...

I'm so sorry..that must have been so scary! I'm glad she's o.k.. They're some pretty nasty cleaning products out there.

utmomof5 said...

I am glad she is okay!! Stuff like that is scary, even when the poison control people don't seem to care :)

I will do my spring cleaning as soon as I see your post about spring cleaning :P

the dragonfly said...

Yikes! I'm so glad she's okay!!

I've been spring cleaning myself. A bit late, but that's life. :)

Leah said...

oh man, I'm so glad you guys caught her in time and took care of things so quickly. It just never ceases to amaze me how QUICKLY kids can get into things, especially when we're standing right there! All it takes is that split second of distraction and kids are alllllll over the opportunity.

The Cochran Family said...

Desperate scary mommy moments....I'm glad she is ok! BUT......I love scrubble bubbles! It's all I will use. I really feel like it's getting it clean, scrubbing away for me AND it makes it all shiny. BUT now I will never look at the bottle the same again. I will think I Laney spraying it in her mouth like Reddi Whip....

Heather said...

Very scary! Nice quick reaction. I guess she thought the bubbles on the can looked tasty.

Mrs. Blimes said...

omg i think i would faint!!! so, when can i expect my sisters to come and visit me???

Nat & Kari said...

How terrifying! Blistering inside???? Good grief! I'm glad she is okay.

Jennifer said...

Crazy little girl!! Glad its all ok. We just had to call poison control the other night because our 2 yr old ate birth control!! We got pretty much the same response, that it was no big deal!

shannon said...

i don't know why i'm laughing inside...maybe because i KNOW Collin would have done something just like that. we've called poison control more times than i can count that i've stoppd calling them so they don't report me to DCFS. last week it was raw bacon. the week before it was bleach. sometimes a paintball, sometimes its deoderant. who knows with kids. but blistering inside??? you've got to be kidding with me!