Thursday, April 17, 2008

Snips and Snails and Puppy-dogs' Tails



Kyle is 5 years old. He, obviously, is a boy. Any of you that have had a 5 year old boy know that they certainly know how to keep life...umm, well, interesting.

Kyle is in preschool. He absolutely loves it. In Florida, you can put your child into a qualified VPK (Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten) class for free if you want to. (So, it's kind of like the schools here go from Pre-K to 12th grade.) Any preschool can qualify to have a VPK class as long as they follow certain criteria set for them by the state. Then, in return, they get state funding. It's really a win-win.

So, every mom of a preschooler knows how hard it can be to get your child a spot in a good...no, make that excellent, preschool. There are waiting lists that are like 3miles long. By the time your child hits the top of the list, they are in 2nd grade already.

We got really lucky. When I went to enroll Kyle (way late, of course), one of the ladies in the office I went to told me about a spot that she knew of that was in an excellent VPK class (even though technically she wasn't supposed to have told me....I guess I'm just so pretty she couldn't resist helping). So, I rushed right over and got him into the class. It's a private school. It is expensive and ritzy and very much upscale. Definitely NOT the place we would have him if we had to be paying the bill ourselves. :) It goes from Pre-K - 8th grade. The older children in the school are always very polite and say "good morning" and "excuse me" and all that jazz. Kyle does well there. He gets in trouble some, but no more than the other little rowdy boys in his class.

Oh, and did I mention the fact that this school is Orthodox? Very much so, in fact. It's not uncommon for Kyle to come home from school talking about his "Lord and Savior Jesus" because of something they have talked about that day.

We were doing Kyle's homework last night. He was told to draw a picture of something that begins with the letter "f". He chose family. I know, how sweet is that?? He drew himself first. I watched him as he drew his head......then his eyes and nose and smile...so sweet. He drew spiky hair (which he doesn't have) and then his big, round body. He drew two arms and two legs, just as he should. Then...wait....what the......??? OH. MY. CRAP!!!




That's right, ladies and gentlemen. He decided he wanted to draw himself anatomically correct. I. was. mortified. There was NO way I was going to let him turn this paper into his teacher at his ritzy, Orthodox preschool. I thought that maybe I could just get another piece of paper and have him draw a new picture and tell his teacher that something had spilled on the original, but I figured he would end up ratting me out. I could just see that........

Me: "Sorry his homework isn't on the paper you sent home with him. I spilled a glass of milk on that one, so I just gave him a new one to draw on."

Kyle: "No. NO. No you didn't. You said I had to draw on a new one because I drew myself a ding dong on the other one."

That wouldn't be good. Plus, I didn't want to lie. So, I just told him he had to draw himself some pants. He did. Although, he drew himself, me, Kaily, Evan, Alaina and his dad and he was the only one wearing pants. He didn't have a shirt on either...just pants. He doesn't really like to color, so he didn't want to have to take the time to put clothes on everyone. His teacher is no dummy, so I am sure she put two and two together and figured out what happened. Oh well. There are only a few more weeks of school left. Think I can avoid eye contact for that long???

UGH!! BOYS!!!!

18 comments:

girlymom said...

How funny! I am sure the teacher would have had a good chuckle about it!
My daughter drew me with a big baby belly...holding the baby- gee thanks- then went on to explain it to me that my belly is still BIG even though the baby isn't in there anymore and why isn't it smaller if I am holding the baby...geesh.

One Scrappy Gal said...

BWAahahahahhahaha!

dawn klinge said...

What a funny story! In fact, you tell a lot of funny stories on this blog, and I always look forward to coming here and finding out what those cute kids of yours are up to. I'm a little jealous of the free preschool in Florida though- that would be so nice.

Leah said...

Well, my then 4.5 year old daughter drew Jared anatomically correct while we were attending a love and logic class... LOL! Does that make you feel any better???

(darn, just checked photobucket since I'd had it loaded in there once upon a time, but I guess I don't any longer...I'd have shown you!) LOL

CP said...

oh my goodness, that's so funny... at least he's trying to be accurate... I cant imagine what he would have drawn for the rest of his family if you hadn't intervened. :)

onthegomom said...

HA! That is hiliarious!!!

Unknown said...

LOL!!!! Thanks goodness there is not another parent/teacher conference :)

Bonnie the Boss said...

Several of my boys have done that too. I am so glad It isn't just my kids. That cracks me up.

Beth Cotell said...

I absolutely love this! I think you should have sent in the original. That would have probably given even the stuffy teachers a good laugh!

Kathy said...

LOL! It was an interesting picture.


www.kathy-iamwhoiam.blogspot.com

Mrs. Blimes said...

well, atleast he's confident enough to put it all out there! kyle is so crazy!

Unknown said...

Omgosh, that reminds me of my four year old boy (this was last year though so only three) he and his dad built a snowman...and well, it was a boy snowman.

LOL

everyday katie said...

ARe you sure Puppy Dog Tails is the right title for this blog?

Gotta love having boys.

Amanda B. said...

That is great!!!!!! I have a five year old too! What an awesome program- I so wish we had that- I think Jacob is so bored right now because we couldn't afford preschool so he is home all day with me and the two babies. Only 4 mos till Kindergarten! :) (Not that I want to rush summer!)

The Cochran Family said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL! NO really LOL. I love how the arms and legs are like a thin pencil line and then he makes "it" all much wider and stuff...this is PROOF that boys are wired to think this stuff up..all about promoting the species... I ran upstairs and had to show Seth and he was cracking up too so you know this halirious!

Mom said...

Oh that is great, and he is only 5 you have your work cut out for you!

Anonymous said...

LOL. I have some of those those... er, boys, not drawings. they would do the same, and then rat me out for lying.

sigh.

and of course she told you because of all your beauty... silly girl.

Family Adventure said...

First of all, that picture of Kyle...to die for! Those eyes...honey, you're in for a roller coaster.

As far as his anatomically correct drawing goes...did daddy not get drawn in correctly, then, since he didn't need pants?

Heidi