Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten (AKA: A Big, Fat Mess!!!)

Yesterday was Kyle's first day of Kindergarten! I can't believe how big he is getting. *sniff sniff*

Kyle is a big chicken. I wouldn't even say he is shy. He is a chicken. He has been soooo anxious about this first day of school. He was scared he would get lost. He was scared his teacher would be mean. He was scared he might see his shadow and there would be six more weeks of winter.....I tried to do my best to get him calmed down about it. I wasn't very successful. However, there was a silver lining. He was SOOOOOOO excited about riding the bus. Last year, my daughter had THE BEST bus driver EVER. He let them sit in the back of the bus. He let them eat snacks. He dressed up like Winnie the Pooh on Halloween. He was awesome! Kyle couldn't wait to ride the bus!! I figured as long as I could get him on the bus, he would then be better at school and there would be no big scene where they were peeling him off my leg, screaming, as I walked away crying. It was the safest way. Or so I thought...

So, we got up yesterday and ate a delicious breakfast. We got dressed and headed out to the bus stop with our new backpacks, filled with all kinds of cool, new school supplies.







Seriously!! They are the cutest little elementary school kids EVER!!! (In my unbiased opinion, of course)

We saw the bus coming around the corner....



They were so freaking excited!! You would have thought we just told them they were going to Disney World!!! (Unless they were Evan, who, when asked the other day if he wanted to go to Disney for his Birthday replied, "Yea, sure," all nonchalantly.)



They grabbed their backpacks, swung them up and onto their backs and watched as the bus drove straight past us.......

I called the school and told them. They asked if I could just drive them to school and then come into the office to verify that I had the correct bus stop location. I said "ok." But I KNEW that this was going to make things much harder.

So, we drove to school and had to fight a MASSIVE crowd of people that all felt the need to drive their children to school on the first day. I decided I would drop Kaily and Kyle off in the drop off circle instead of trying to find a parking place. Plus, I figured it would be easier to get Kyle to separate from me this way. So, I did. They took Kyle out and I watched them walk him into his building. I then proceeded to drive around, looking for a place to park that was within a mile of the office since I had Laney and Evan with me.

I found a spot and then went and got in the line at the office. As I was standing there, I saw a woman walking towards me. Kyle was holding her hand, sobbing. I left the line to see what had happened. It was just another mom that had him. She had found him wandering around the 4th grade building, crying. That means not only did he get out of his classroom, but he then got all the way OUT of the Kindergarten building!! I couldn't believe it. I then spent the next 40 minutes trying to get him calmed down (while holding Laney on one hip and constantly having to tell Evan that he couldn't wander off as he was exclaiming "I'm going to school now! Where's my lunch box??" I didn't get Kyle calmed down. Eventually, they peeled him off of me and I left.

I went back to the office and they said I was at the correct bus stop (DUH! I knew that already) and that they would make sure the bus driver knew where he needed to drop them off.

Fast forward a few hours....

Here's Evan, waiting for the bus to come.



He's pretty darn cute, too....if I do say so myself.



We stood and waited. My phone rang. It was my husband. He says:

"The bus driver dropped them off at the wrong stop."

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Apparently, he had pulled up to the stop. Kaily told him he was in the wrong place and they weren't supposed to get off the bus if I wasn't there. His response:
"It's not my fault your mommy isn't here. This is your stop. You have to get off the bus now." And he left them there, standing on the corner. ALONE!!!!! (He's lucky he was a little, old man when I met him the next morning or I would have opened a can of you know what on his hiney!!!!)

A neighbor saw them wandering around and called one of the numbers (my husband's cell) that I had pinned to Kyle's backpack. I went and picked them up. They were fine. They were drinking Lemonade Capri-Sun's and were disappointed because the woman was going to get them a bag of chips, but I showed up. (Go figure!) I, however, was NOT fine. I completely flipped. I started shaking and I immediately called the school. When I confronted him about it this morning, he was SOO rude to me. This story is so long you have probably already fallen asleep, so I will spare you those details. I wish there was someway I could get his old, wrinkly butt fired, but apparently they are hard up for bus drivers, so chances of that happening are slim to none.

So, instead I will have to do the next best thing and give him a lump of coal for Christmas this year. Enjoy your smudgy, black fingers you crotchety old man!!!!!

Besides the whole being passed up by the bus and the whole escaping and getting lost in the morning thing and the whole kindergartner being dropped off on the side of the road, ALONE, fiasco.....Kyle really had a great time and was excited to go back today (ON THE BUS!!).

(Disclaimer: I DO NOT feel that ALL old people are crotchety. In fact, I love elderly folk!! They rock!! I would be just as upset if the driver were a crotchety young man (or woman).)

25 comments:

Jennifer said...

Are you kidding me?? What did the school have to say for itself? You can't just leave kids on the side of the road!!! I hope the kids are all really loud for that bus driver ;)

Amanda B. said...

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, your story most certainly did not put me to sleep- I read every word with my mouth dropped down to my knees!!!!! I can't believe a bus driver would just drop off a 5 year old and an 8 year old alone, especially when the 8 year old said her mom should be there and it wasn't right. Oh, I would have flipped too! That is unbelieveable! Poor Kyle! I suppose he isn't too traumatized if he wanted to go back the next day. Those pictures are sooooo cute. Kenny starts second grade next Wednesday and Jacob starts Kindergarten!!!!! Unreal....

Unknown said...

I woul dhave flipped out!!!! Glad the kids took it in stride. Too bad for them they didn't get their chips :)

dawn klinge said...

Ugh...too bad you don't have the Winnie the Pooh bus driver again. I'm glad Kyle liked school in spite what happened. They are very cute kids.

Valarie said...

Dawn- I know. I sure miss Winnie.
Amanda- Hopefully your boy's first day will be better. Can't wait to read about it!
Jennifer- The school prettymuch just said "You have a valid complaint and we will look into it further." Generic answer that really means "Since your children are safe, we are too busy to do anything about it."

Beth Cotell said...

My mouth literally dropped open when I read that the old man kicked them off the bus.

My son (who is also a big ole scaredy cat...and I say that in the most loving way) starts kindergarten next week AND will be riding the bus. I am starting to get nervous!

At least, after all the issues, your son had a good day and was excited to go back!

Shan said...

Oh that is unbelievable. I would be calling the school back to follow up. I would also consider calling the transportation company to complain. Here a kindergarten student is not allowed off the bus if there is no parent there to pick him or her up.

ohiolanges said...

Val

Wow - I hope the second day is better and more safe!! I thought the vulture pictures were scary - but this story topped that.

Your kids are beautiful. It was so fun to see your name on my blog. I'll be checking back -often. you are a great writer.

anne

Valarie said...

Shan- That is the rule here too. Apparently this driver is above the rules, though. I did call transportation and complain already.

Porters said...

Hey Valerie, I saw your comment on Jen's blog the other day when I was leaving one and couldn't believe it. So I checked out your blog and oh my heck your kids are so big and way to cute. Sorry I had to read your stories and love every minute of it. I hope its okay if I check up on you guys, I can't believe how everyone has grown up and changed. I had to show Mackenzie how much Kaily has changed and she says she remembers her from Primary. I didn't believe her at first but then she started talking about things that they did in their class, man does she have a good memory. Can't wait to see what you write about next you are a really good story teller.
Rebecca

Leah said...

OMG!!!!!!! I'm livid on your behalf! We had an issue one of EMily's first days of Kindergarten where the bus showed up five minutes early and let her off with some lady who happened to be standing there. And another time where I was about 30 seconds late, and they didn't let her off at her own stop, but let her off at the next one (a 1/4 mile down a busy road without a real shoulder and she was BAWLING and terrified).

I hope day #2 went better??

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh...that is NUTS! I WOULD HAVE FREAKITY-FREAKED OUT!

P.S. YOUR KIDS REALLY ARE SUPER CUTE~!

The Cochran Family said...

Wow, that is a 1,2,3 very annoying, very irratating things for yall!!! Man, aren't you glad that is over with and you can go home and sit on your butt and eat bon bons! :) teheh

Kaci said...

Oooo I would be sooooo pissed as well! I hope the rest of the week went smoother!!

Betsy Hart said...

MY GOODNESS!!! What a nightmare! You should ask Leah about her bus stop adventures!! I would say that a letter to the school district isn't out of order here. There is no reason that two kids should be dropped off (especially with one being in KINDERGARDEN!) with no one there to get them.

Bonnie the Boss said...

A couple of years ago my kids had to take a bus 6 miles to school. We had an grouchy gay middle aged woman who would come around the corner on 2 wheels! Age has nothing to do with it. One of mine bawled almost every day.
Bake him some cookies he won't forget where your stop is anytime soon. "That is the cookie stop" is what he would think.

Kellan said...

What a mess! And ... I am SO VERY CLOSE to taking this on as my NEW CAUSE - this mishandling/losing/pusing kids off the bus at their wrong stops - CRAP! It happened to Little Billy when he was 5 and I went all the way up to the SuperIntendent of the School district - gave them HELL! If you were to drop off your neighbor's kid at some random stop - you'd be charged with child endangerment. I know they are hard-up for bus drivers, but this is a job that have 100% accuracy at all times. Pick them up and deliver them to the right school on time and pick them up and deliver back to their homes in the afternoon. It is a disgrace and one day something really horrible is going to happen to these kids and then they might finally do something to re-vamp this screwed up bus system.

So sorry this happened to your kids - it's awful and it just should not be happening to my kids or your kids or anyone's kids!

Take care - Kellan

the dragonfly said...

Oh my. That is insane. I mean, I can understand having a mix-up on the first day as far as the driver missing the stop in the morning. That's not good, of course, but not horrible. But dropping kids off, alone, at the wrong stop? There is no excuse for that.

I hope the rest of the week went better...

Valarie said...

Bonnie- LOL!! That is hilarious! I should totally beomce the "cookie stop."
Kellan- I have been on the phone off and on for a week now. I think I am going ot have to start making personal appearances to get them to tak eme seriously.

Unknown said...

omg, I would be livid....isn't there a way to file a complaint or something??? UGH what a jerk!

on to nice things, the kids looked so excited and cute!

Unknown said...

ps, I haven't been over in a while, I love the new layout!

Unknown said...

ps, I haven't been over in a while, I love the new layout!

Autumn said...

I'll focus on the non mess part of this. Wait. First I have to say that happened to my nephew-except the wrong BUS picked him up. Anyway-your kids are SOOO darling. Downright beautiful!!!

desirae said...

Oh my goodness.. I was livid for you.. (Well after I picked my mouth up off the floor, imagining those two little kids dropped off, alone, and wondering what to do.) Thank goodness that lady saw them, and was nice enough not to call the number on the bag. (And that she didn't call a friend, to complain about parents today neglecting thier kids.. lol.) I'm so glad I didn't stick Turtle on the bus.. I imagined him getting put on the wrong bus, and ending up in god knows where.. Scary... And does this bus driver not have an ounce of commen sense??? Your daughter knows where she is supposed to be dropped off, if she says that isn't the spot, then that isn't the spot!!! Ughh.. I'm still ticked off on your behalf.. I'd be writing to the local newspaper, and raising a stink.. That's dangerous.. And makes me sick to my stomach.. I hope the bus driver finally has his head removed from his butt, and is getting it right... (Your son will probably always remember his very first day of school.. Poor kid.. lol.)

Damama T said...

What is up with bus drivers now days?? My 4 YO pre-schooler grandnephew had similar bad experiences 3 out of the first 5 days of school. And his parents were met with the same "so??" kind of attitude. UN-FRIGGIN' BELIEVABLE! Hopefully the rest of the year will go better.